How do you avoid oppossoms?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by rush_60, Nov 3, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I seem to catch about 10 possoms to every coon or coyote. Their too easy to catch. How do you avoid them?

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    When trapping for coon is when I catch most of my oppossums ... I try to use most a sweet bait. like marshmellowsor anise, not fish or other flesh type bait ... this helps the most. .... Garry-

3. katjuice

katjuice New Member

State:
    ky
    Well when I was a youngster growing up trapping all the older gentalman I was around always told me that the opposum was the fastest animal on earth. I never understood them until one day they explained no matter how you bait your trap or conceal it a opposum will beat every other animal to it. Also they said if you catching opposums your trapping right just weed them out first and the better catches will follow.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you use urine post sets for coyotes,that pretty much eliminates any unwanted catches.

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    If your coon trapping and using bait, your gona catch possums. The louder the bait, the more possums. Sweet and fruit type baits aren't quite as bad, but will still attract a bunch. Like katjuice said, you'll catch them out in a hurry. Gang setting really helps with a high possum population.

If canine trapping, using strictly urine will almost elliminate the possum catch.

Down here in Louisiana, possums in the sets are just something you have to deal with! Them sapsuckers are everywhere!!!

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Thanks everybody. I'll definetly give gang setting a try. I dont know why I didn't try that earlier.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I used to trap but that was muskrats . Anyway I feed the backyard deer corn and the coons tear it up I have yet to see any possums maybe I don't have that many around .