How do you approach the Catfish1 forums?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jeremiad, Aug 10, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Okay, we all love the BOC, but there are so many forums and so many posts that it's almost impossible to participate in every one (even the ones we find interesting!).

So, how do you approach these forums? Do you go to your User CP first? Do you regularly use the New Posts feature? Do you only look at certain forums that interest you? Do you simply browse forums randomly for items of interest?

Perhaps we can glean from your responses an idea of how members use these boards. Maybe there are behavioral differences between men and women in participating in these forums. Who knows what we can learn if we all chime in! :big_smile:

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Very good thread!

Being new, I feel like I miss a LOT. I usually do the "new posts" and then look through some of them. Many times, there are pages and pages and pages of them and I don't get to all of them.

I'm anxious to hear how others do it.

3. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    To start things off, here is what I do...

1. I always check my User CP first for updates to threads that I am subscribed to. It's nice to check the new repuation comments too!

2. I then check certain forums in order for updates, usually in order:

Virginia Catfishing
    West Virginia Catfishing
    Prayer Requests
    General Conversation
    Member Jokes (at times)
    In the News (at times)
    Contest and Giveaways (once a week)

3. If I have time, or at another time during the day, I check the New Posts, but there are usually so many that I only go back a few pages browsing for topics that look interesting.

4. I usually focus on posts that have few replies; the more replies, the less interested I am in wading through it all to catch up.

5. I like to find Initiates, new members that I can welcome to the board and start on the way with a few rep points.

That's about it!

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Good Thread:big_smile:

I go to the Missouri first, then General Conversation. Then I usually brouse around( or the baby cries and then I have too get off:wink:)

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I use the new post feature.

Then I scroll through looking for posts that intrest me. When I find one, I right click on it and choose open in new tab. When I've gone through the whole list, I then go to quick links, mark forums read. Then I go read the posts that I opened in a new tab.

6. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    i usually will pull up the ones that interest me or the title catches my eye. i also will pull up some of the prayer requests cuz thats important. i usually dont post much, just read & learn. ive learned how to make some really nice bank rod holders, a yummy taco cassarole, to tie my weights on separate, weaker line to fish in fast running, boulder filled river, & that if i ever own a boat i am gonna be talked about in a thread about idiot boaters cuz thats how i roll (i make mistakes, & lots of them). so thats why im reading all the idiot boater threads now, to hopefully avoid that. from what ive read, i might get shot over, weights thrown at me, rammed, immigration called on me (& im a louisiana native), etc. good times. good times.:smile2:

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I always use the "new posts" feature. I just check where I know I have posted and any thread that catches my eye.

If I see a thread about "Fishing on the Kaw", I just pass over it. Since, it does not pertain to me.

Now, if I see a "Tea is the best in the world" thread, I like to stick around and read it. :wink: I have still yet to find that thread though, lol.

8. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You sound like me.read and learn and help when I can.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its possible. Look at the staff.:smile2:

10. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I suppose you're right! To whom do I submit my resume, or do I fill out a trouble ticket to join up? :big_smile:

Being on the BOC staff is probably not too unlike being a preacher...the work is hard enough and the pay...what pay? I guess it remains to be seen whether or not the retirement plan is out of this world! :wink:

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I just roam around aimlessly till I find something that interests me:roll_eyes: Kinda like this post just darting from here to there and found this post LOL

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Unless Im looking for something specific, I use the New post feature.

13. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    if i get deported back to louisiana, im pretty sure they have catfish there.:crazy:

14. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I always use the new post feature and then look at whatever interests me.
    Just to many posts for me to read all.
    Bill

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always first go to User CP, next to New post.

If I been gone for several days, I'll go to User CP, next to General Conversation.

16. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    i usually just stick mainly to the general area im not fishing at nickajack dam anymore so i usually dont go to the tennessee fishing threads,and the high intensity area just doesnt suit me anymore i grew out of it, im already a hot-headed person so why go to the in high gear room so i can send apologies later on? (i have a conscience too lol) :roll_eyes: i have even posted in the sisterhood threads because i dont think its comepletely gender specific so i add my 2 cents worth sometimes.
    i also check out the testimonials and contest threads :big_smile:
    there really isnt a method to my posting madness just whatever i have time to post on at the time me and my wife share computer time and she has free emails and lots of special offers in her e-mailbox all the time and usually after i check on here i will check myspace and sometimes record guitar parts or bass,or sing and laydown drumtracks on the computer so all in all i couldnt post like half the people do on here if i had a weeks vacation and no kids checking on me every few minutes! lmao
    but it goes with the territory i guess of being a parent,and husband lol
    :big_smile:

17. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i use the new post all the time an look around after that

18. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    User CP first to check on what I've been followin and then new posts. Works for me.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The pay sucks and the retirement plan? You are kidding right?
    Its a labor of love and hate if your only option to the internet is dialup.:smile2:
    Staff gives up alot of time including family time, fishing time, sometimes vacations because you feel guilty so you leave your phone on and check in once in a while. We cant enter the contests to get the freebies and we eat meals at the computer. And several us lucky to have computers at work like me right now are on here working in our free time on the job (lunchtime and breaks).
    I admit, its been a wonderful oppertunity thus far to be a part of it all.
    We give alot and give up a lot in the process though.
    I work 40+ hours a week on the paying job and try to be on here atleast 30 hours a week and more in the winter months as I have a hard time with cold weather.
    During the winter I'm looking at 80-100 hour work weeks every week.
    My first 24 hours on staff I pulled 23 straight hours on the site to get up to speed. That still happens sometimes.
    I'm on here before work, during work and after work. I get roughly 4 hours of sleep a day.:big_smile:
    Others can speak for themselves but I see the same staff members on when I am on.:smile2:
    And anyone wondering how dedicated Paul is to this site? Paul checks in from a war zone.

20. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I do the same thing Tea