How do you adjust AG Catfish Pro?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by RickfromLafayette, Jun 25, 2009.

1. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have the Abu Garcia Catfish Pro which has the normal spool tension knob on the right side and another one on the left sideplate. What is the proper way of using / adjusting these two knobs?

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    The knob on the right I don't mess with at all I just leave it where it was when you bought the reel.

Now the other knob on the left side I use like the brake on the right for my spool tension sometimes I tighten it to cast and lossen it up a little after depending on where your fishin if your fishing in a lot of current or using a lot of weight or a big fish also if it is in a pole holder or not. As you can tighten it down so the fish has to pull harder to get line out.

Do you use baitcasters alot or is this your first??

3. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I'm not familiar with the Catfish Pro Rocket but it seems like a normal CS Pro Rocket so I'll give you some of what I know.

First, it should have (if it's like the regular rocket) a six pin centrifugal brake inside. Use this for your cast control, not the end spool tension knobs.
    The CT's have a "speed bushing" which rides only on the inner race of the left side spool bearing, thus it has very little effect on spool speed when tension is applied. In fact, adding to much tension via the end cap spool centering adjusters can ruin the bearing(s). However, the CS's have a nylon LW gear inserted in the left end of the spool, the end of this gear rides against a flat brass bushing in the left side plate. When tension is applied via the end cap adjusters it slows the spool without hurting the bearings and becomes a third spool speed control like the other non-mag versions have as well. This reel most likely has the nylon insert, and while it can be used, it's still not a good habit to get into. You can cause undue ware and keep the center line of your spool moving which will make your line lay different from time to time and cause build-ups in one area and valleys in others which makes casting all the more difficult.

To center the spool (very important on L/W reels) loosen both end caps on the side plates so it allows plenty of lateral movement of the spool from side-to-side. Take note of the amount of the rim of the spool that's showing on either end where it meets the frame. Hand center the spool, then tighten the right side cap (handle side) until it just starts to move the spool to the left while you're gently pushing the spool to the right with your left hand. While still applying pressure to the right, back off on the right cap until the spool is perfectly centered. At this point you should still be able to slide the spool to the left unless you have the left side cap tightened too much. Assuming you still have plenty of play to the left, tighten the left side cap just until there is no play or lateral movement in the spool and back off just until you have that slight "knock" or slight amount of side-to-side "play".

Once you have the spool correctly centered in the frame and have the ideal amount of play in the spool, you set the adjustable reference ring with the numbers on it (located on the left side plate under the end cap) to zero. In other words, you rotate the ring until the zero lines up with the arrow on the end cap. On the CT Mags, with a "speed bushing", this adjustment should not be changed once properly set. On non-mag reels, you can go up to one full clockwise turn on the tension control to help slow the spool. If you have to go more than that then it's time to add more or heavier centrifugal brake blocks, heavier oil in the bearings or both. As with all reels, you should never go counter clockwise past zero, this only adds more slop or "play" in the spool and adds nothing to distance and can actually reduce it.

Last but not least.... read the instruction that came with your reel and follow any precautions mentioned for long life of your reel, and incase something does go wrong, and you need to send the reel back. That way they can't say you were the reason the reel failed.

Hope this helps.

4. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for your responses, guys.
    Shelby, I have dozens of baitcaster reels, mostly Shimano, as I am an EX-bass fisherman. LOL.

Crucial, that was what I was looking for. I guess I should have awakened a little more before posting this morning and posted a clearer question. I have been working on and modifying Shimano reels for years. I recently picked up 2 AG's but they didn't have the dual control knobs. The Catfish Pro Rocket is my first reel like this and you described it accurately. I have been using the left side for fine-tuning my casts and will change that, now that you explained the design.

Thanks again, guys.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Rick, Welcome to the BOC!