How do yo keep your Flathead catfish bait lively?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Drum Andersen, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I was wondering how you guys keep your bait alive all night.

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i take a 20 to 30 gallon cooler that i converted to a livewell. We take 2 airaraters and frozen water bottles to put in the water, if its not shad then the bait will live all night long. Give them enough oxygen in the water and keep the water temp low enough you are in good shape

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    another way is to take a five gallon bucket and drill holes in it and throw it in the lake or river your fishing in,make sure you have a lid on it thoug:)

4. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I primarily use bullheads in the 5" to 7" range and they are tough. I usually use two 5 gallon buckets with about 6 to 8 bullheads in each bucket. I keep a lid on each bucket so the water doesn't slosh out when I am running. I watch them closely and I change water when they start sucking air. They keep very well and last forever. A lot of times they are so tough they are pulling hard enough to trigger your bait clicker - keeps you on your toes!

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    5 gallon bucket with two holes drilled in the lid. Put a hose with a stone threw it and aerator on other end. Can keep them alive all night like that.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have several bait buckets i made out of 5-gallons, their in the library if ya wanna make some.

7. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Are you just wanting them alive, or do you want them lively? Keeping them alive is relatively easy. A battery powered aerator will usually do the trick. Also, if it's hot, you'll need to change the water every half hour or hour or so.

If you want them lively, that can be hard. I don't remember if it was on this site or the old site, but someone had a really odd tip. Caffiene pills. Sounds odd, huh? Just put a caffiene pill in your bait bucket and after some time, the fish will be swimming frantically. Although this makes it harder to hook the bait, but it is kinda funny to see.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lol speeders for your bait thats funny.

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    It's even funnier to see. Those babies shake like a drug addict. Well, after that, they kind of are a drug addict.:p

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use a large cooler that I have a bait saver system in and works great for me. I do use the frozen bottles for the freezer to keep the water temp. down.

11. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    If I'm only fishing for a few hours I put my live bait in 1 of those wire mesh baskets w/ the floating lid. I tye it off to a tree or rock. There are 2 sizes of this baskets, I use the big one. It will hold about 20 gills for hours if not days.

If I'm at the cabin and staying for a week, I put them in a big floating livewell that I had made, I tye to the dock. It will hold about 70 gills depending on size.

12. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the info guys this sure will help this summer.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wonder if the Guarnna seed pills will do the same, theyre an herbal caffeine pill. or, better yet, and i still have some.....EPHEDRA:0a5:

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with all the above and just will add that over crowding a cooler or bucket with baitfish will decrease their health. Cool water is always better than warm water. Goldfish seem to survive the best in any conditions of all the live baitfish that I have used.

15. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Size of bucket really dont matter a 8qt is perfect for no more than 8 Bluegill.A five gallon can hold alot more bait, a Bubble box or some other kind of airation system will help alot. It helps to keep air in the bucket oll night.

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It seems that the goldfish will stay alive over any bait fish I have had.

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    rock salt added to the water will make them tough and keep them friskie also, the caffiene pills work great also i have used them in my bait tank with herring when striper fishing. there has been a uproar about druging bait with pills at alot of big striper tournies around here.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    For the last few years I've been using those plano bait-buckets with the yellow lid from wally world, $8. I take a 1/2 inch drill bit and put about 75 90 holes in the sides, leaving the bottom 3 or 4 inches intact. (That way when I pull the bucket into the boat I can drain off most of the water making it lighter,concentrate the fish for easy grabbing). When I'm transporting I put the bucket inside a 5gal bucket and fill with water.I use those big bubbles aerators from wally world . Change water as often as you can on a long trip or storing overnight. If I'm storing for later use I fill up one or two other 5gal buckets with water, then just move the bait into them every 6-8 hrs.

19. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    If I'm going baiting, I have converted a dryer drum into a bait Pail. It is very bulky for me but I can bait one day and tie it off in the current and bait stays good there for days. Have made a lid for it that latches so there safe enough, and a chain. These work well to stock up on bait. these work out really great when you get a few kids coming down and have one per kid, AND Hey, you have a Fishing tournament! Watch the bait come in.
    Take the Kids out Fishing and share for they will be the watchers of the water after US.
    Take an elder, Cause they know!

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I set up a livewell for my boat (the ones that jonboats usually come with aren't big enough). I got a 55 gallon plastic drum and cut it down to about 1/2. Then I got a thru hull filling (2 inch) from the hardware store and cut a hole and put that in with a hose to drain over the side of the boat. The height of the ourflow sets the water level in the tank (duh). Mine is set up to hold between 10 and 15 gallons. I mounted a small bilge pump on the transom below the water line with a hose in to the bait well. The pump is wired to a switch on the console. Flip the switch and it pumps water into the livewell and then it overflows over the side of the boat. Whe it's cool (water temp under 80), I can keep a couple of dozen good size bream happy and healthy and frisky without hardly running any water. I have been known to put 35 plus baits in though and then I have to run the water for a few minutes every haf hour or so.