How do y'all feel about seeing possible

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by rebcatman, Aug 22, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    law breakers fishing where you do? While I was out this past weekend I saw a number of people using lines that were attracted to bottles(fishing from shore), using just line, and in one case, a half of a fishing pole. It appeared to me that if someone cannot afford to buy a fishing pole, they might not also be able to purchase a fishing license. Now, of course that might not be the case at all, but it did get me thinking about what could possible be done. I realize the chances of these folks running across the local Game Warden, is slim.

So, today I called the local G&F office to report what I saw. The lady took my name and number to pass on to the local Game Warden. She said he has court tomorrow, and then is on vacation the rest of the month. But, that maybe he will be able to call sometime tomorrow.

I guess what makes me made about this possible law breaking is that I play by the rules and always purchase a fishing license every year, and do not keep fish that are not within the rules. Even though the chances of running across a Game Warden is slime to none, I feel it is still the right thing to do.

So, was I right in reporting this to the State?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think you were right reporting it, but thats about where your power ends. You'll probably be amazed if the warden shows up and actually does anything.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ya, you are right. I told the lady that this was not a one time thing, as I have seen it before there. Part of the problem is the lack of the number of Game Wardens. There are too many places to visit, and not enough Wardens.

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    It's the same here in Arkansas, too much area and to few Game Wardens. The Wardens here all have cell phones for work and will give you thier #. If your local Warden has one get his # if you can. I have our local Wardens # on speed dial on both house and cell phone. He said no to bother with the switchboard just call him direct. I have gotten good response doing this. It helps also to get a vehicle lisc# and a description of the people. A disposable camera ia great for this. grizzly

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In my opinion,you were not wrong for reporting this. It is obscene to me when people go around doing illegal things.Thats what makes it bad for all of us who strive to obey the law. I say report them and hopefully the warden will catch them. You definitely did the proper thing and I for one want to pat you on the back for a job well done.Just keep it up.I personally am sick of people who break the law.------------pk powell:smile2:

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    It's a shame that such law-breaking is happening. It is good that you reported it. I would be surprised, though, that the game wardens are slow in responding. Out in the blue ridge area, you can hardly sneeze without a game warden showing up to see what happened! :smile2:

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the responses. It feels good to know that others feel the same way. The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. I will let y'all know what happens if anything.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Yes, you were right. I to have called the warden before and don't think I will hesitate in the future to do the same. We, the fisherman, have to do all we can to protect the future of this great sport. We are the first line of "defense". Its like the police say, the neighborhood watch is just that many more eyes watching the streets with and for us.

9. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would have done the same. Bust them jokers out!!

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can not believe what I just read. everu one of you would report seeing someone fishing. he was not doing wrong, maybe I better read this post again, I will read it again.

Are you saying you reported this because you didn't like the way he looked.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK I read the post again and I must admit I may be wrong about why you reported them. I said it was because you didn't approve of the way they looked when the real reason you reported them is because you decided they were poor.

I am sadened.

12. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    i dont know man. me im not much for the law. it is what it is. me im the kinda guy to mind my business. if they wasnt hurtn nuthin leavem be. with half a pole they probably aint catchn much. thats pushiment enuff aint it.

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I'm not sure I understand your post so forgive me if I have it wrong. Are you saying you saw people fishing, using bottles for floats and since you thought they couldn't afford fishing poles that they probably couldn't afford a fishing license, so you called the game warden on them just because they were poor. If I understand correctly they wasn't doing anything illegal, but you took it upon yourself to assume they were doing something illegal because they looked poor. Like I said, I may of misread your post but if I didn't...........I really don't know what to say! If they were that poor then they were probably hungary and needed anything they caught for food, not only would I not of turned them in even if I knew they didn't have a license (because they coudn't afford them), I would of given my catch and offered them a few bucks for some fixens to go with their catch. But hey that's just me, that's the way I was raised.

14. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Danny, I'm with you on this one. I've read and reread this thread trying to figure it out. If I read it correctly, not only am I saddened, I'm very upset!! :angry: :sad2: :angry:

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am even more schocked that everyone else told him they would do the same thing.

What have we come to ?

16. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    fatkat n fishman im will yall. its quite disturbing. alot of people did agree n that just makes this situation worse. its messed up to see such judgement made esp. from the diverse bunch on this site. n i live in VA. n its wat all of 14 dollars for a license. they prob had 1. u can getm at wally world n all.

17. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Exactly what I thought. I don't think he should of assumed that they were fishing illegal because they were poor.

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Danny I'm with you I can't believe what I just read.If you saw me fishing you would want to call in the swat team.I have fished like that and may do it again and guess what I don't buy a fishin license so come on down here to Mississippi and report me.I think you should change your handle cause I know what a Reb is and you ain't one.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nope, everyone has not agreed with the way this post reads. When I first read it I thought of an experience I had this spring. I was fishing the tail races at Kaw Dam in Northern Oklahoma. I was somewhat upset because some hispanic people had slept at the fishing hole all night and were still sleeping at 10:00 AM. Because they were there I couldn't get my prized position. When they started fishing, they used plastic 7-up bottles with monofilament line wrapped around the bottle, a hook, and 5 oz. sinker. The girl would hold the bottle while the guy threw the sinker. It was the same thing as an open faced spinning reel. They could wrap the line around the bottle as fast as I could have retrieved it using a reel. Now, talk about cheap equipment. And they were hispanic. I wonder if they had a green card. But, it didn't matter. I found it fascinating to watch them fishing. I wouldn't have took one step to report them to a warden. Figured it was their choice, and if necessary, they'd pay the price. Gone back several times and seen other hispanics.

20. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    sorry i take wat i said back. not everyone. but there was like 5 or 6. hey did they catch ne thang with tha soda bottle action???