How do stripers bite?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by JRicker, Jun 11, 2008.

1. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Was catfishing last night with a small live readear sunfish under a light up floater. Something was hitting it i dont think was a catfish it wasnt really taking it down but it would grab it and run with it reall fast was this maybe a striper?

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    possibly, though Stripers usually slam it from my experience (if you ever have one hit with a clicker it will SCREAM IT)....

Sounds like it was a smaller Channel cat to me.. They'll walk it quite often...Next time, look closely at the sides of your bait fish. It will mostly likely be scuffed up caused by the channel cat mouth trying to fit it in...

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    my guess is gar it's getting to that time of year. are you seeing any gar in the area you are fishing?

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Striper and Hybrids ......

They hit hard and fast, Hybrids are smaller but a lot stronger. The will take your line and peel it off like its nothing. Its more of a straight fast pull than a head shaking feeling from other fish.

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    John, this certainly sounds like a gar from my experience. This happened to me several times last night using live bream on the Coosa river. Stripers will nail it!

6. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I dont think it is a striper, they hit so hard, thats why they are my favorite fish to fish for. I would think that its probably a bowfin. Ive caught many of them and they usually hit the bait just like you described, just my 2 cents.

7. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah a Striper usually takes it like there's no tomorrow and will usually strip your bait. I would say a needle nose Gar or maybe a Chain Pickerel.

8. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    They usually seem to bite the tails and just pull the bait untill they feel pressure then they let go.If not a turtle I'd guess gar.

9. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    stripers hit like a freight train

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    were you using your tiger spinning combo ???? i get better hookups with that rod for stripers..... i was just curious

i dont think it was a striper.... you wouldnt have bait left!!!!!!!!!

11. Zing

Zing New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Stripers hammer it, they love bream but it sounds like a gar, if your bait was still alive I would look at your bobber and see if it has teeth marks in it. We have had to bring the gar in the boat to let loose of slip bobbers that are white. I now use black and yellow ones.