How do I use bluegill to catch channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BigCatDreaming, Jun 1, 2006.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So i have a bunch of 3-4 inch bluegills. Now do I want to cut these up and use them? Or use them whole. I am fishing for channels if that means anything

2. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Just recently tried using bluegill as bait. Read where using the heads was a good way of catching good size channels. First fish was a 12 pounder using just the head. Also caught a BIG snapper.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Bigcatdreaming,

It depends on the size of the channels in the lake or river you are fishing. If you think the channels are big enough to handle a live bluegill of that size, use 'em live. If not, then use the bluegills as cut bait, and experment on the size of the piece of fish you are using for bait. The best way to find out what works best is to use both live and cut bait, and go from there based on what catchs what. Good luck.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    3-4 inch is a good size for two or three pounds and up if used whole. I prefer to use them whole, but then I don't really care what I catch and black bass love them whole. Caught my biggest bass last year (6 1/2#) that way.

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I'd try both out on different days. 'Cause sometimes one might outfish the other at different times or different parts of the body of water you're fishing. You'd probably catch a lot of flatheads too if you're fishing where they also swim, on the live bluegills. Just my two bits, though.

-Red

6. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    ive never had luck at the spots i fish at with whole bluegills, so i use em as cut bait. i usually cut a 3-4 inch blue into a few peices depending on what type of bites im getting that night, if im getting bigger hits i cut bigger chunks. i almost get a nice channel on the head everytime...now my good bud always gets em on the tail section and swears by it. ive never had luck with the tail. i guess it all depends on preference of fish and fisherman.

7. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    for channels, use gill heads. for flatheads, use whole, live gills.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cut and whole, either way they will catch a fish. Cant go wrong with a gill head man, they are great.

Good luck on the water.

9. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for all your input! I'll be on the water tomorrow morning so wish me luck!

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Question about baiting with 'gill heads. Do you run the hook through the eyes or what?

11. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I cut them in half and use both sides. Cover them in garlic and vinegar. Then freeze them. Sometimes i leave them out for a couple days to rot then put them in garlic with vinegar.

12. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    JERRY, THE BEST WAY IS THOUGH THE EYE SOCKET! BIGCATDREAMING, HEADS ARE WHAT I USE AND YOU CAN EXPECT TO CATCH CHANNELS OR FLATS.CAUGHT A 15LB STRIPPER BASS A FEW WEEKS AGO ON BRIM HEAD.IF YOU
    HAVE ANY BOWFIN THAT WAY THEY WILL HIT ON THEM ALSO.THE BIGGER CHANNELS WILL HIT THEM WHOLE ALSO BUT SEEMS THE HEADS GET THE QUICKER BITE FOR ME! GOOD LUCK FISHING! LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO!:smile2:

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Catch most of my channels on shrimp, but recently got a cast net, so will be using live bait and cut bait more. As for bowfin, caught a 7 pounder the a couple of weeks ago, great fun, but not much for eating from what I hear.

14. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I CAUGHT MY 1ST BOWFIN A FEW YRS AGO AND IT WAS ABOUT THE SAME WIEGHT AS THE ONE YOU CAUGHT.THIS WAS THE 1ST TIME I HAD EVER SEEN ONE AND DIDNT KNOW WE HAD THEM HERE, NO ONE ELSE KNEW WHAT IT WAS EITHER,SO I WENT TO THE LIBRARY AND LOOKED IT UP AND FOUND OUT THAT THEY WERE INTRODUCED TO THE NORTH CAROLINA RESIVORES IN THE MID TO LATE 70'S AND THAT THE BOWFIN MEAT WAS A DELICATESY IN SOME UP STATE NEW YORK RESTURANTS AND THEY GET UP TO 20 TO 25 POUNDS.I ATE THE ONE I CAUGHT AND IT WAS GOOD CLEAN WHITE MEAT AND TASTED GREAT!:smile2:

15. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    How do you hook the Bluegill, either whole, the head or cut bait?

16. LanceRomance

LanceRomance New Member

State:
    IL
    I cut them up into 1x1 steaks and use them on a jug line.

17. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have tried every way that was metioned on this thread. From what I have heard all of them work. You just gotta give'em what they want at the right time. Of course, what do I know. I have only caught one cat over 10#.

18. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    I use the Bluegill heads.
    Hook it thru the eye socket an you cant go wrong.
    The rest of the fish i steak crossways in about 3/4 inch widths.
    A fellow told me that they do better if hooked thru the bottom
    of the lip an out the nose. He says it keeps the mouth shut an the
    fish bite them better that way. I would think that anyway you hook the head your going to catch fish if they are there.
    Just my thoughts an no brag intended but i have caught a cat or two on
    perch heads, bluegill, brem whatever . General rule is, the bigger the bait the bigger the fish.
    As an afterthought, you might note that some states have restrictions on the size of fish that can be used as bait.
    (taterpicker)

19. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    It is rather early in the year to use gills... I havn't had any luck with them yet, the cats seem to be hitting softer baits still recovering from the winter. Chubs, livers and other soft baits are easier for them to digest when they are just coming out of their winter slumber.

When using gills, I use smaller ones for channel generally hooking them about an 1/8 inch below the back of their dorsel fin to keep them alive.

When hooking them in the head alive I run it right through their lips from the bottom up.

Dead I generally hook them through the back, I havn't had a lot of luck on cut gills...

Good luck and happy trails!

20. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I beleiev Im gonna try bluegill for the first time tonite. Ive always used shad and chub s and liver.