How do I set the sights?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Stormin_Mormin, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Stormin_Mormin

Stormin_Mormin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Recently got a used compound bow, dont know how to sight it in, anyone got any advice?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    You want to chase your arrow. if it hits high move the pin bracket up, low move down, left- left & so on. start at 20 yrds, once the bracket is set up for dead on at 20, then you can move the pins for 30 & 40 yrds instead of the whole bracket. shoot 3 shot groups to make sure if you off, its not your form that was off but the sight. Be patient & dont rush the shot. Hold your form on the release and wait for the hit before moving.

3. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    That is the way to set them up. Only thing i do different i start at about 10 yards just in case i am way off. Never know for sure and i hate chasing arrows. Once you get it close then step back to 20. It might save you a few less damaged arrows or chasing them. Hope this helps

4. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    By dozen arrows, same length and weight. Use 6 for practice and 6 for hunting.

I would recommend get several 4'x4' pieces of card board to use as a target and 4 bales of hay as a backstop. Start a 10 yards. Shoot a bunch. Do not adjust the sights yet. Keep shooting arrows until you can shoot a group, say 8 out of 10 in a paper plate. Of course, if you can not hit the 4x4 cardboard move up, then adjust the sights until is on the card board.

Then adjust the sights as mentioned above. Then move back to 15/20 yards, shoot good groups, the adjust the sights. Then move back to 30 yard, do the same.

I say paper plate because a hit, rifle, pistol, arrow in a pie plate size area just behind the shoulder blade is a kill (heart/lungs).

I would start shooting my bow in mid June. Bow season in Georgia start mid Aug. I would shoot 100-200 arrows 5-7 days a week till season started. I bought a lot of BenGay for my shoulder in that time.

At first I would use only field points, then when I could shoot good (8/9 out of 10 in a paper plate) I would go to broadhead. Almost like starting over. For me, even using the same weight field point as broadhead, the is a great difference.

As your wrist, forearm and shoulder gets stronger, you sight will change. Also any change to you bow, bow string, kisser button, release or release point.........................will change you sights. A lot of work, but worth it.

I quit bowhunting due to the heat in southwest georgia in September (80-90 degrees), along with the bugs which will eat you alive. Most days I left the stand feeling like I had donated blood to the Red Cross............. Repleant also repels the deer.

Always remember, shooting good groups is the key to shooting a bow, rifle (.22 to 30/06 and larger), or handgun.

Chuck