How do i make the bait clicker work?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 11, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok guys I got a abu 6000 the red one from walmart but it says it has the baitclicker but i dont know how to use the clicker I have been loosening the drag all the way and put the clicker on but its hard because I have to pick up the reel when a fish runs with it and tighten the drag then set the hook and by then the fish is off is there a easier way?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You turn the clicker on and put the reel in free spool, you dont losen the drag..Just turn the clicker on, and push the button in that you cast with.

3. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    Yep, don't mess with the drag at all, just set it and adjust it when needed for fighting a fish. What I do is cast out my bait, wait for it to settle, take up all the slack, then turn the clicker on and disengage the spool, then set it in a rod holder. When the clicker is on, It will prevent the spool from overrunning and causing a birds nest. Try it out, just turn on the clicker, hit the free spool button and give it a yank, when you stop pulling the spool stops spinning. Then when you get a "run", just turn the reel handle to engage the spool, set the hook, then turn off the clicker after you get him hooked. I've heard some fellas engage the spool, turn off the clicker then set the hook. Whatever you prefer.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Looks like they already got ya fixed up on this one :big_smile:
    Nothing like hearing that clicker start to scream...

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I love that sound...

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I was to slow to help these guys have got you covered.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Looks like you've been takenb care of. The clicker adds enough tnesions to keep the spool from overrunning when a fish takes your bait. It's nice to not have to mess with the drag.

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Personally I don't let mine freespool. I keep my drag out and adjust on the fly after the fish is on. Since I have switched to circle hooks, there is no need to set the hook. I gradually tighten the drag and let the fish load the rod slowly. Once the drag is tight, I lift the rod just enough to loosen the circle hook from the cutbait and enage the cat's mouth. I developed this system to train myself not to set the hook. When I first switched, I would be surprized by a fish running the baitclicker and try to set the hook out of habbit. Loosening the drag prevents me from my own mistakes. I'm sure the freespool method works fine.

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    you press the button that you cast with...and on the left side of the reel there's a little switch push it up....and CLICK CLICK CLICK......you're clicker is on

10. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Just push it up, and click,click,click.

11. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks a lot for the fast help i knew i could count on all of u thanks.:smile2: