How do I make and use a catfish chum bag?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fishhooked, Jun 4, 2008.

1. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    How do I make and use a catfish chum bag? What do I put in it…..what should I make the bag out of? Do they work? Is it better for a river of a lake? How long do they last? Do they work for big cats of small? Thanks for the help in advance.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ken, may not be what you had in mind, but here are pictures of my creations. LOL

The first is made from 4" PVC pipe. I drilled holes in the side so the scent could escape. The fish swim right up to it and butt it with their heads.

The second I made from 3" lateral line PVC pipe. It has the half inch holes pre-drilled. I normally bait this one with fermented field corn (don't get it on you, whewwee). Again they hit the pipe trying to dislodge another kernel of corn. LOL. Greedy little suckers.

Both have PVC threaded plugs so they can be loaded/emptied. Then I put an eye hook through the top and tie a line onto the contraption so I can retrieve it when through. Each is between 18" to two feet in length.

Normally you attract the smaller size fish with chum, say up to 8 lbs. But you can get a load of them. LOL

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attached Files:

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    burlap sack, or onion bag

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Awshucks has a great method.

I always use a Burlap sack. I open the sack and put it in a five gallon bucket and fill the sack with corn from the feed store. Then I fill with water and then close the lid on the bucket and set it out in the sun for about two wks letting the corn firment, checking it every couple days and adding more water as needed.

When it is ready to put out, and you'll know when it's ready to put out:eek:oooh:

load it in your boat and take it to the spot you want. Spread some of the corn out all over the area. Put a brick or big rock in the bag tie a knot in the top and then tie a rope on it and lower it down to the bottom. Tie the other end of the rope to a jug but have it suspended under the water so you can find it and no one else can. This way if the bag moves due to fish pulling on it or water flow etc etc you can still find it.

This will work in lakes and rivers. However it lasts longer in lakes than rivers due to the flow of water. In Rivers it will depend on the flow of water in the river( how fast and how rough) to determine how long it would last. In lakes we've fished em for close to a month or longer. I've never tried to fish them very long on a river.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have an old minnow bucket, the type that is metal and has holes on the inside, that works great. Just put your chum on the inside and hang it overboard.

6. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    I like the PCV holders. Should be easy to make and last a long time. Why corn and not chicken livers or some kind of fish or dog food? What is wafer board?

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ken, livers should be good, especially for pan size channels. Have you ever got a whiff of fermented corn? If you did, the answer is self explanatory. You spill some of that on your clothes and you'll spend a few days sleeping with the dog, not because the wife wouldn't let you in the house (if you have a wife, that is) but because you wouldn't want to stink up the place you live. Others swear by cottonseed cake, fermented oats, or other substances. It makes no difference, the primary idea is to attract fish.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    lawrence, that's like a mini pig pipe we used to make for hogs. great design!

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    you can also use soy beans instead of corn.

10. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    i use a plastic coffee can punch holes in it weight it down with some rocks tie a rope to it
    so it can be pulled back in afterward

11. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    i also bait it with liver or fish heads

12. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use soured wheat. Stinks worse than corn and they don't fill up on it as quick. Hen scratch works well also.

13. triton10

triton10 Member

State:
    St. Peters MO
    The old hoop net guys used cotton seed cake.

14. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Priced cotton seed cake lately? If you can find it.

15. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    You can buy burlap in the sewing section by the yard at walmart put you some range cubes 20% in it and tie them together. If i have anything that stinks like old cheese bait I put a glob in the middle of the cubes .