HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE thermocline IS GONE?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by varmint_sniper, Sep 29, 2009.

1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey guys when dose the thermocline dissapear in mwcd lakes in ohio i know it starts when ur bait starts to die at deeper depths but how do i know when its gone with out wasteing time this weeknd fishing ? or should i run a float above the 8ft mark to be safe? just figured with cooler nights the big flats would be deeper in warmer water if it is? OR should i be fishing shallow 8 ft or less or deeper 9ft to 24ft? over a creek channel? thax any info helps....sniper

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    fish shallow water man.. they should be feeding like crazy now the water temp is dropping.. ive seen some huge flatties caught out of 4 foot of water....

shallow water close to channels = MONEY

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Warmer water always rises to the surface and the cooler water sinks to the bottom. That is what makes the lakes "turn over" and eliminate the thermocline.
    As stated above, go shallow...W

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree! Shallow, but close to a channel and structure.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Shallow water is at the peak now.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I went out with ODNR a while back while they were doing an electro-shock study. In addition, the took measurements of water clarity and used a neat little gadget that could tell them the temp and oxygen levels at different depths. If you had one of these, it would be easy to tell. Or if your fish finder was high tech enough to show the thermocline (difference in water density). Mine is not fancy enough.