How do I keep skipjacks alive?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by mcdo2137, May 20, 2008.

1. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw mwntioned in a previous post that skips could be kept alive using using a method like tuna tubes. does anyone have detailed info on making such a setup? I am interested in trying to come up with a setup!! any info or tips would be appreciated!!!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    If you find out, I'd love to know myself. It seems as son as I catch them they die ASAP!:confused2:

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    How do you keep skipjack alive? My answer would be; dont catch them :big_smile:

There are some big time striper guys that manage to keep them alive for an afternoon. You must have a very very good source of aeration and some current really helps. If you put some current into your livewell they will swim against it and not beat themselves up. I do not think a cooler could be convertered and it would take quite a big livewell, I know those striper guys spend well over 500 dollars getting a livewell that can hold skipjack for a few hours.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
  5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's an example for saltwater skipjack, which are several times larger than the freshwater type. Just remember that you've got to provide LOTS of water for each tube. One homemade version I saw on another site used an old swimming pool pump for two tubes. If you plan to use bilge pumps, you're probably gonna need a high-volume pump for each tube.

http://www.kodiakmarine.com/tuna_tubes.html

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not have the money to buy a set-up that will keep shad or skips alive, I do not try to keep them alive, I just put the on ice and try to keep them as fresh as I can.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I keep shad alive for a whole night of fishing very easily. We just put them in the livewell in our boat and make sure to pump lots of fresh water in (run it for roughly 5 minutes every 15 minutes). This gets the slime out that chokes shad and keeps the water clean and toxin free. Just keep the lid closed as much as possible and they stay pretty calm in the pitch blackness.

Another tip: when you get shad in your cast net, do NOT touch them. This will cause alot of scale loss and even more stress than they are already going through. I simply dump them in the livewell.

8. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i have never tried to keep them alive for very long but i now just put them an a stringer and put then back in river . they stay alive till i quit and ice them down.