How do I keep shad alive?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by HoFFmaXX, Apr 1, 2007.

1. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know its prolly been asked so amny times. But i used to have success at keeping shad alive in a air pumped tub but i was wondering how you all kept em alive or if its even possible?

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never had much luck. But if you got about 600 bucks there is a few tanks you can put in your boat to keep em alive.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never had any luck at all if they die I use them as cut bait:big_smile:

4. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I have a guy that fishes our local tournaments that has developed an additive that you put in your livewell. Don't know much about it other than it works, because in the early stages he would give it to alot of us to try. We was not doing anything extra other than putting his stuff in the livewell, and always we was removing live shad the next morning from the livewells. He has since went pro in catfishing and sells this stuff out of the company he started. I can get more info if interested, just PM me!

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    IT is possible to keep shad alive for extended periods. I am no expert on this but I do have success keeping shad and skipjack alive. Things required are a tank with no square corners, water circulation, filter to remove scales, supply of fresh water (water you are fishing ), and oxygen.

6. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    when you catch your shad, put them in a bucket of water. when you see the slime start floating around in a couple minutes, take the fish and put them in another bucket of fresh water....you may have to repeat 3 or four times, but just keep changing the water till the slime disapears. and make sure your tank is round and not square. in a round container they will just swimm in a circle when the get close to the walls. if your tank has corners or flat spots, they will continue to run into them and eventually die.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    just get enough shad for a little while of fishing, not enough for a whole night. I learned this trick from vlparrish and it works. JUst get enough to fish one spot and if you need more or they are dead after that spot, go get some fresh lively ones. I do this in tournaments. One 8 hour tournament during the day last summer I ran back into the creeks 4 times to get fresh bait, wouldn't have placed nearly as well if i wouldn't have had fresh shad.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use a 30 gal tank and all i do is fill with water add 1 1/2 cups of rock salt and some chlorine remover and i use a oxygen tank that puts oxygen in the water. have kept herring alive for 3 days with out changing any water. i can hold about 6 doz herring or 3 to 4 doz. gizzard shad with out much trouble.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i put them in a wire fish basket where i am fishing, and keep them out of the sun. the smaller ones will get hung in the wire, but the larger ones usually stay alive for the whole trip.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  11. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    there is alot of good info here. Like most, i do not want to spring 500 dinars for a top notch tank. I have probably made 10 different homemade versions but as with most things, you get what you pay for. What I have found to be true: round or oval tank. for big gizzard, 1bait per gall unless you use pure o2; the salt to harded the scales and keep the slime coat, chemicals to replentish what the bait has lost during the capture( Shad saver or better bait) and some sort of filter to remove amonia and loose debris and scales. During cooler weather most systems will work but during summer all things must be working and temp must be kept down. As for air, the smaller the bubbles the longer they stay in the water column and the more usable oxygen is disolved. Look into something called the Bait caddy. It is made by Creek bait tanks and will give you what you need for about 1/5 the cost of a premium tank. just my two cents, there are alot of systems that work but nothing like having great bait.

12. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    TShepherd, I noticed you mentioned the Bait caddy by Creek Bank. I have heard that they make a really good tank, but have not been able to find anyone who has used the Bait Caddy. I've been thinking about trying to put together a tank and insulate it as best as I can. What has held me back is I haven't been able to figure out how the properly filtrate the water. Does this provide good water filtration? I am convinced that if I have a good pump and filtration system and use the right chemicals that I can insulate a tank well enough to keep a days worth of shad alive.

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    perform CPR on all dying shad. Cardio pulminary resussitation.

its hard to do, but, might just save the lil shads life.

14. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas

If that don't work you may want to call and inform his next of kin.

Good luck.

15. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i use a fish tank addetive called aquasafe a friend of mine got me using it and it is cheaper than alot of the other stuff out there and is the same thing

16. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    On a early post I mentioned that I knew a catfisherman that developed an additive for baitwells, well I found more about it. The additive is called N.O.S., Negative Oxygen Supplement, I can tell you it works.

17. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    where can we find this nos it sounds like a good product

18. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    all i can say is what everyone else has, round tank, not square, fresh water, keep o2 in the water, circulation, and don't take more than u need... once u r running low, just throw the net and get some more... from what i have seen, u do need circulation though, all the shad that i've kept will just sit there and not move around sufficating themselves without the current... the best way to get the fresh water, the circulation, and the o2, is to pull lake water into your tank and let the ecess back into the lake.

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey thanks guys for the Tips:big_smile:

20. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i'm going to experament with a large round igloo water cooler i found in a rental house the kind you see on a sideline at a football game.
    it ought to keep the water cool with a little ice added the filter i see at walmart filters and adds air at the same time.