How do I get that crunchy batter?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by shooter, Mar 19, 2008.

1. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    How do you get that crunchy batter on fish? is it the oil? The flour? the temperature?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ned, I double dip my fish in a 50/50 cornmeal flour mix with spices and let the next batches sit in the mix while fryin up a batch,the moisture from the fish seeps out and gatheres up more coating,the oil needs to be HOT before you start too. When it floats to the top ,get it out . Its done ,no matter the color of the breading.Hope this helps ya.,oh yeah . I put my fish in a ziplock bag an shake to bread it too.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I sometimes make a crispy beer batter recipe I found a while back.
    Sometimes I double this if I am making a lot of fish.

1 egg
    1 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 beer(room temp) drink 1/4
    seasoning to taste( I usually use about 2 tsp of some kind of season all, wild game season or old bay)
    1 tsp baking powder
    extra flour for dredging

Whisk egg, beer, flour, seasoning together until smooth. Cover and let sit 20-30 minutes. Heat oil to 375, I use peanut oil.
    Stir in baking powder to batter just before frying.
    Dry fish pieces with paper towel then dredge in flour and then in batter.
    Fry until golden brown and fish floats...

It usually comes out nice and crispy

4. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Im gonna have to try that, me and the kid fish here in des moines and cook what we catch right on the bridge downtown here, thanx a million:wink:

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Oil that isn't hot enough is the number one factor of a soggy fried product. Wether deepfrying or panfrying you want your oil to be in the neighborhood of 350 F. Don't overload the pot/basket either, it will bring the temp. of the oil down and you will get a subpar product. If frying on the stovetop get your hand wet and flick it into the oil to make sure it has a nice crackle to it( or as i have seen before , some folks test it with a lil spit). Then fry one "tester to make sure it's not too hot. Or just buy one of those fancy grease thermometers.....lol....anyways fish shouldnt take but a few minutes when frying. hope this helps.....

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Right on , keeping the oil temp right is the key to crispy fish.:0a27:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I thing Ive read about but never tried is using carbonated water in the batter. I dont batter my fish, but if anyone tries it give a holler.

8. RedXpress

RedXpress New Member

State:
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I don't typically batter fish, especially catfish. I do know of one simple beer batter that is good for fish that I got from a pilot who got it from a chef that run a fish restaurant in Alaska.

1 box of Aunt Jemimas pancake batter
    Dark beer.

Mix em to the consistancy of paint. Dip fish and fry.

Awesome with shrimp!!

9. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ya need to try 8 eggs and a can of mountain dew for ya batter,then house of autry seafood breading,double dipping then frying,its so good it will make a preacher cuss,try it its the only i fix em,but it a secret recp.dont tell no body thanx...

10. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Depends how much fish you are frying __ 4people_ 2 cups buttermilk pancake mix , season salt ,garlic to taste ,3 eggs , beer to make batter like a pancake batter ,(thick), Dry fish fillets on paper towels ,dip in batter ,drain in coulinder , roll in bread crumbs, I use golden dip brand ,into hot oil (peanut) stands up to high heat , oil at 360 deg. don't crowd pan , listen for the sissle to change , there done !Wait for heat to return to 360 to continue .

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Don, House-Autry is my chosen breader of choice as well, but I've never tried it like this. Are you saying dip the fish in the egg/Mountain Dew mixture, then in dry breader twice? Or do you mean mix an entire 2-lb. bag of House Autry WITH the eggs/drink, making a more tempura type batter? :confused2:

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Interresting...have to try that one, Thanks :big_smile: