how do I get here?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by readingcatfisher, Sep 11, 2008.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    On the Schuylkill River near the Black Rock Area, catfishing has been very good with reports of large flathead catfish being caught in the 30 to 35 pound range. The most productive baits for the flathead catfish are large shiners and blue gills. If fishing for channel catfish then chicken livers work well. The smallmouth bass fishing near the Cromby Power Plant has been good most of the summer. Crankbaits and live bait have been the best producers.
    Anglers and Boaters are reminded to stay clear of the fish ladder and construction area at the Black Rock Dam. Violators caught in the construction site will be prosecuted for Criminal Trespass.Iam gonna go get me some new heavy duty gear and some steel and try to get to this spot

2. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Is it someones honey hole that I didn't get a response? I just wanted a little directional help that's not too much to ask is it?

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Looks like the boys are being tightlipped! :wink: :crazy: :roll_eyes:

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I can't remember the road cause I haven't fished there in a few years, but it goes through the city of Monte Claire. Right before enter Monte Clair, you will see Canal Road. Take a right and follow the narrow dirt road all the down to the Lock Parking Lot. The Schuylkill should be on your right and the Black Rock Canal should be on your left.

Make sure you have your wet-wading hiking shoes. Next, you walk down the step to the lock where you must jump down a 7 foot wall. Yes, the only way down the thing is either jump down yourself or carry a ladder down there. After leaping down, youmust be willing to get your shoes wet because you will walk across the a small canal dam. unless you can jump 30 feet, your feet will get wet. after walking across the canal dam, you pull yourself up another 5 foot wall. Now you be at the BlackRock Dam. there is probably enough room for about 4 to 5 anglers. There you will fish on top of a 30ft wall with a 30 degree angle incline. THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO BRING WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!!!!!!

Black Rock Dam is the most heavily pressure spot for flatheads in the Schuylkill. If you fish there, just try to get there aliitle early to ensure you get a fishing spot. Make sure you have plenty, I MEAN PLENTY of sinkers cause its the snaggiest place I've ever fish. Bring lots of bug spray and the locals, well, all I can say is they aren't city folks and they love to kill and leave flatheads on the banks because they love thier smallmouth fishing up thier and they think killing a few big fish rid the river of the flatheads and save thier bass fishery.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Did you get this off of the PA Boat and Fish Commission site?:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

PLEASE DON"T BELIEVE ANY OF THAT HARKY-MALARKY THEY SAY/

6. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    yea they are just letting the rednecks talk about their 30-35 lb fish which are probably closer to 15. that spot is no better than any other in PA, it just gets a ton of pressure and generates a lot of ridiculous reports.

7. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    screw it then then doesn't sound worth it to me but I was trying to hook up with lendog to hit a spot in phoenixville maybe but he never got back to me yet so I just been sticking to my usual spots I haven't been able to get out at the times i'd like to .I caught a few channels that were close but no points yet 6 at 26 inch had 4 at 6 1/2 pounds so close yet so far away I'm ready to come to Philly and someday I will because I want to experience a big flat I know the state record came from my back yard but that was a fluke there are no numbers here theres numbers there that's what I'm interested in quality and quantity