HOW DO I FIGURE THIS OUT?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by healthydrink, Jan 18, 2009.

1. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Went two weeks ago during a front on a severe windy day water temps around 40-45 degrees. We did not catch anything until the front was right on top of us.
    I know how to find catfish on my sonar and I know how to find bait.

Went to Oologah Saturday. (Note) this is the first time I have fished after a sever cold snap like we just had. Now water temps are 34 degrees. I did find shad and caught about 30 smaller ones and went fishing.
    Found almost all fish stacked up around the edges of river channels or deeper lake holes from 25 feet to 35 feet. Some were deeper but most in this range. I have never seen so many fish stacked up like that, so thick on my sonar that it almost looked solid, if it were not for the arches colors. We fished no less than 8 different locations that lit up my sonar like that but we did not even get a bite in 3-4 hours of fishing. First time I have been skunked like that. What should I have done and were should I have tried different?:eek:oooh:

2. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I saw a show on the tv that said durring winter months expecially during the really cold that it may take fish days to digest one meal.They will pile up like what you described in a sleep state.They would use all thier energy they need to live to digest a meal durring very cold temps.I don't know this for sure ,but it does make some since to me.I have seen video of divers poking large flatties asleep stacked up on the bottom,the fish took several jabs before they even moved.

3. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    You might have been looking at spoonbills.

4. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I did consider that, we did not have any snagging hooks with us to verify that. However there were not any fish in any other location that I found in any of the other haunts that I have found to be very good in the past. I did see many different colored arch patterns and threw my cast net a couple times on some of these and confirmed what I thought I was seeing as scaley fish and cought crappie and drum. So I am positive it was soft fish I was seeing, but like you said they might have been spoonies. Next time we will have some snagging hooks.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    During the winter your success or failure seems to be at one extreme or another. Blues are pigs and they do stuff themselves during the winter. Their metabolism does slow down but they will eat till their stomachs are extremely distended. I have fillet blues in the dead of winter, 2 to 3 pounders and have counted 35 to 40 3 to 6 inch shad in their stomaches. They love to eat but the cold weather limits them on how fast their forage is digested. I use small cut bait or shad no bigger than 3 inches whole during the winter. I rarely get a bite on shad bigger than 5 inches in the winter so their cut into one inch sections. I believe that there just some winter days that they have worked the schools of shad so hard that they can't eat or care for another bite.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Some days are like this and they just don't bite unless you hit them in the nose. We done the same thing at eufalla when team catfish came down and fished with me and Sam. The fish were stacked on the river channel drops but just wouldn't bite. Like you we knew they were blues but they were just not feeding. We tried the deep, on the drops, on the flats, creek channels and even some shallow water and they just weren't biting on that day. Sometimes you will still find some active fish on the flats or in the shallows on those days. Only other thing to do is wait them out and hope they go on a feeding frenzy late in the day. I think we managed 5 fish that day, worst day on the water in awhile.

7. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Seems like everytime you kind of get them figured out what they might or should do they go and do something like that. It just don't make sense, a fellow once told me though thats why they call it fishing not catching:eek:oooh:

8. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Amen! I would much rather be catching then fishing, but fishing is still way better than working! I just wish it would have been better because it was my sons Birthday and he had three of his buddies with us. We still had a great time bustin eachother. :smile2:

9. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i don`t know much about any thing other than sam and moon pies don`t mix! these fish stacking up may have something to do with the barometer, i know high and low pressure affects deer and cattle, they too won`t feed during certian times, i see cattle bunch up with their backs to the wind, and deer will lay down during certian weather changes, i bet fish also do the same thing

10. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I will have to look at what the barometer did that day and mark it in my notes. You might have something about that. I did not even look at that. Thanks for all your comments and I welcome more input from anyone else.

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    One last thought..:005::smile2: Sometimes the blues are so full of shad they dont want no-more:eek:oooh: That is when a feller needs to hit them with skips!! I have caught them several times on skips when shad wouldnt get more than a nibble...my reasoning is.......Take Regan for instance he ate till he was stuffed:wink: and here i come along with his favorite dessert (moon-pie) :eek:oooh: he cant resist the flavor of it..:tounge_out: ( although they are nasty to me!!!) so they attack the skips hard and heavy!!!! If they dont hit skips it's time to go home....

12. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    "Sunshine" George Lening, says there are only about 4 really good fishing days each month. The only way to find out what days those are is to go every day!

13. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    That sounds like a good plan might start tomorrow! :smile2:

14. Lawrence Bridges

Lawrence Bridges New Member

State:
    sc
    lots of good answers here

15. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I watched Jeff William's with Team Catfish video a couple nights agao when he fished Hudson Lake right after a front I believe it was on 1-11-09. His sonar pictures weren't quite like mine but close what he did was follow the river channel until he got to a place where the fish were more broken up indicating a more active school of fish and he fished there and caught some. I will try it next time I have this scenario. What do you guys think is he on to something about this?

16. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Probably....Jeff makes his living being on top of things.