How do I clean and cut gar?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by JERMSQUIRM, Aug 30, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok there is a bunch of these gar crusing now at the creek. to me thats a bunch of food. ill give anything a chance. ive caught one and its in my bait pond. i had one hooked yesterday but lost it. now fellas. how do i clean and cut these up? turtles ive done but nrver a gar. there several pounds of meat waiting on me. help a bro out. they are hitting great on mepps spinners,lol. at least here.

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy,
    Not sure about the cleaning of them. Reckon I would treat them about like a carp. I did read somewhere that using a short piece of nylon rope as a lure worked well cause they got their teeth tangled in them and wouldn't get loose. Look forward to hearing how you like them when you try them

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i just searched the gar balls recipe today and sounds good. like hush puppies. im gonna try this. i have fish skinning knives designed for taxidermy that should work great on this griz. they are designed to skin withiut cutting thriugh the flesh. should peel the skin off easy.

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The best way to clean them is to cut the skin with tin snips down the length and then peel it like a banana. The fillet the meat off the bones. With alligator gar the best way is to set a circular saw where it's cutting about an 1/8" and run it down the length. The skin peels pretty easy off the meat the tuf part is getting through it. Hope this helps.