How do I change from a tiller steer to console steering

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SSG Johnson, Sep 6, 2005.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    i was wondering how hard it would be over the winter to change my boats steering from a Tiller steer to a console steering wheel. I don't have the money to get a whole new motor so can it be done and what cost would I incur in doing such a job. How hard would it be I'm pretty mechanically inclined is this something that I could tackle or should I take it somewhere.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Chuck, what do you have to work with now? Boat size, type and motor.

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I have an 18 ft polar craft with a 70 hp johnson tiller steer.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If your boat doesn't have a console, you'll have to build one or buy one to install, or I might be able to help you out there. Jim Hudson gave me one that might fit your boat

A steering helm kit from teleflex. new about 140.00 It'll have all you need, except steering wheel. I got that if you need it. It's big and chrome and has a lot of spokes.

A control box, complete with wiring harness ignition switch and control cables. Ebay item, or where ever you can get one used and in working order.

You'll probably need new control cables, about 40.00.

Before you do anything else, what yr is your motor?

5. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    You can get new in box Teleflex rotary steering kits on ebay, with a "free" 13" steering wheel, for $119.95 plus shipping of about $25 right now. You can select a cable length from 8' to 20'. You might also need to buy the transom support bracket and tube to go with it, I don't know if the kit includes it. That's what I'm gonna buy. I have the leftover bracket and tube from my current steering.

Whatever you do, don't order it from Cabela's. WAAAY overpriced. $159 for the same kit at Cabelas, plus shipping!

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Ill be able to find out tommorow what year it is.. Thanks for the info. everyone I think im going to try and change it over this winter as thats the only thing I dont like about the boat is the tiller steer. Its not hard to steer it but it does tire my arm out sitting in that position while driving.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    You might also look into putting a power tilt and trim on the motor while installing a console. They will put you back a few hundred dollars but well worth the investment.