How do I catch skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by nightowl, Jun 14, 2007.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    im from vicksburg, mississippi and im new to the boc. I was wandering if anyone could help me with boating some skipjack. I have a castnet. i need to know where to go to catch em'. any info would be a world of help.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Nightowl, castnets are no good for catching skips, they are to fast, the only ones I have seen caught in a castnet were caught by accident. I use a rod rigged with crappie jigs two to three on the line. A sibiki rig will work well at times.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    By the way welcome to the B.O.C. Do you fish the Mississippi river?

4. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    i do fish the mississippi and i thank you for the welcome

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the brotherhood Morgan. Listen to Top, he is steering you in the right direction.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC! Top's right. Look for the skippies where there's fast current: below dams/powerhouses; places in dikes where the water is pouring through; off the ends of dikes; where another stream joins the main stream. When you do find some, take careful note of the way the current looks, then check out any other spot where the current looks similar. In the winter, any spot where warm water enters the cold water can be a good spot.

Start with a fast retrieve near the surface. If necessary, adjust speed, add some jerks, fish deeper, change colors. Most of the time, color doesn't seem to matter that much, but sometimes using the right color is the key.

7. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    THANKS FOR THE TIPS MR. JERRY I CANT WAIT TO GO TRY THEM:big_smile:

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    nightowl,

Welcome to BOC.....I'm from Tupelo....I'm also interested in catching skipjack, but I'm closer to pickwick than any of the Mississippi rez's/rivers...Good luck with the skipjack....Dwight

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Shoot, Dwight, if I lived as close to Pickwick as you do, I'd be there all the time. Great place to get skipjack, good catfishing, good striper fishing.

10. large1

large1 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    yep, i fish the mississippi also but way down below Baton Rouge and if you happen to notice the may flies everywhere its time to break out the sabiki rigs.A few years ago the may flies were out big time and we would catch skipjacks and fish them whole 8-10 inches long and in about 2 hours we had caught 8 fish (all blues) and the smallest was 35 lbs.By the way here we call them slickers.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i don't know jack about skips, but all the same welcome large1 and nightowl to the boc!

12. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    nightowl.
    all the info is just what you need to go get-um.they are lots of fun to catch.
    one more thing >KEEP A TIGHT LINE.<they will walk the water and flip off.

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    jtrew,

I just haven't got familar with Pickwick....I was a kid the last time I was at Pickwick....Never even been to the dam.....But I'm planning on getting a little familar with it this week....I'm off for the wk of the 4th....So, maybe I can venture a little farther away from home....lol....Dwight

14. wippydip

wippydip New Member

State:
    michigan
    Im new to the boc and this is my first response. We fish for herring in Michigan but nobody uses them for catfish, Jus eating. We usually catch them when the mayflies come out, preferably the big greenies. Use red, orange or green teardrop lures and a bobber. My family and I caught coolers full of em this past june. Our biggest one was 17 inches.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use crappie jigs and sabiki rigs, chartreuse and white seem to be the colors of choice. Best time is right at sun up or sundown.

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy, one of our grandsons and I went down to Nickajack Dam early this morning around 6:30 and they didn't start generating until 10:00 eastern time. When they fired up the generaters the skipjack went crazy, they were jumping everywhere. I had trouble keeping the boat in a good position so we didn't catch that many although we did manage to get 22 that weighed 23 pounds, so we are set for a few catfishing trips now. We used yellow tubes with white tassels with a white leadhead. Man that was so much fun! I have never seen so many skips jumping like that at the dam. We had the whole place to ourselves for over two hours. This was the first time our 9 year old grandbuddy had seen a skip. He is still excited tonight about that.

17. Mississippi Kid

Mississippi Kid New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've never caught a skipjack. I usually buy a few at the bait shop (when they have them). What's a sabiki rig?

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are lots of different rigs; different number of jigs, different colors, designs, etc. Here's a picture of one:

Attached Files:

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bummer! Couldn't post the picture I wanted to because it's already been posted in another thread. Guess we're only allowed to answer a question once.

20. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Gander Mountain carries a good sabiki rig and after last night I am a firm beleiver in them.

We were catching four or five skips per rig every cast for nearly 2 hours but only kept a couple dozen.We had more fun catching skips on those sabiki rigs than I have had in a while.

Matter of fact I am buying 4 more today and taking the family out for a fun day at the locks.