How do I catch large Striper Hybrids.

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by montgomery#1, Apr 16, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I would like to know how to catch striper hybrids. We have a lake that has them and i would like to know how to catch them. Thanks in advance.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If your talking about wipers use anchovies from the shore. If in a boat you can throw Jigs at them while there boiling or troll those realistic trout lures. Dont be afraid to use the big ones like 8-10" long. They will hit big baits. Hope this helps.

3. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I think Ill have to try that. I have only caught a few and they were all about a half pound each. I just bought a boat from my dad and am going to start trolling and such. Thanks for the advice.

4. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    like oxxy said dont be afraid of big baits, try the biggest live bait you can get, some people catchem on livers also, never had any luck withem myself but others do. are there stripers as well or just hybrids? good luck

5. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Monty,
    Oz and Bambu are shooting straight with their advice. Also, I've caught them by using a balloon rig with a live shad several times but, in my opinion, there aint nothing better than a big, blue and white Zara Spook walked over 'em when they're crashing bait balls on top. Who doesn't love a topwater strike? Remember, stripers have straight lines and hybrids have broken lines on their sides.
    Good luck to you,
    Bigwhiskers

6. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    We catch them with white crank baits and white grubs in cloudy water and in-line spinners in clear water. Good luck, Dave.

Attached Files:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Most of us will run down rods, planer boards and a big float bait. At times we run 13 rods out. I suggest reading reports and talking to the owners of the local bait shops. Most of them will tell ya what jigs are working lately. Big baits work and sometimes they want smaller bait. With all the rods out rig them different and find the patter they want. Baits that work best are blueback herring for medium baits, gizzard shad or skipjack herring for your big baits and then threadfin shad for small bait. You also cant out rule fresh cut bait at certain times of the year.

Also you have to decide on trolling or anchoring. Study your seasonal patters and you will advance every year you fish for them...and keep a log !!!

They are a fierce fighting fish, have fun and I wish you luck

Hope this helps ya some

-Jim-

8. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I cant use shad or any live bait for that matter except for crayfish. Other wize i would. Thanks for all the advice.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds like you might want to try u-rigs maybe ? Darn things aint cheap but they do work.

10. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    good advice, thanks

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The best bait I've used on big wipers is bluegill. Bar None!! I have fished with the best wiper fisherman in the midwest. Steve Lytle of McCook, Nebraska. He targets wipers probably 175 to 200 days a year. Steve and his clients have caught master angler wipers all the time. His average year consists of catching 300 master angler wipers by himself!! He targets the wipers by drifting bluegills and shad, or casting saltwater curly tailed gigs. On one occassion I fished with Steve and a friend. We caught 5 master angler wipers, all of them over 10 lbs. The largest was 15 lbs. and 30" long. Steve caught the 15 pounder on a large grub tail with a 2 oz. jig head. I like using Rapala or Yozuri crankbaits when the wipers are chasing the shad and alewifes on top. Top water lures can result in explosive strikes. Always remember to keep a fairly loose drag, because they can snap the line like nothing. I've had wipers bust off the trebles on my crankbaits alot, or even straighten the hooks. Having good fresh line is a must. I usually go with 8lb. test mono or Fireline 4lb. dia. 10 lb test. Reels with a smooth drag are definently a plus when fishing these line stripping rockets of the water!!

Mark..

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    when your out on the lake always keep one rod ready to go with a 7 inch cotton cordell redfin. i like chrome with a black back. use a good casting reel with a good drag. if you fish for them very much you will eventually see them surfaceing. when you see them don't cast to them ,cast past them and reel back thru them. another good rod to keep ready is one with a good heavy spoon on it. when they are crashing bait on top they don't eat them all. some shad will be wounded and drift to the bottom. after they get thru surfaceing they go straight to the bottom and eat the dead and wounded shad. cast the spoon to where they were surfaceing . free spool line to the bottom , take up slack and hop the spoon off the bottom . at all times hold on tight to your rod. good luck and tight lines.

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I think that ill try as uch as is legal. The fish and game doesnt let us use shad or live bait. Except for crayfish. Thanks for all youre help.:cool2: