how do I catch blugills for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Wvawitrado, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Wanted to try and use live bluegills how do I catch them?

2. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    If it is legal in your state a bait trap you can either build or purchase. pay special attention to dimensions of the trap as most states specify certain dimensions. or you can spend a leisurely day with your " ole fishin pole down at the ole fishin hole".:wink:

3. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    thank you what set up should I use?

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Go to your local city ponds or farm ponds with a small pole with a small hook with a small piece of worm and a bobber and catch them til your hearts conent. Its that simple. Check the rules and regulations first.

5. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i use a very, very small hook and a small peice of worm. small split shot and a small cork/bobber. on a light action spinnig rod. if they are around you should catch them.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jordan you can't use blue gill for bait in cali..It's illegal !!!They are considered a game fish...Though there are SOME spot's where you can use them... BUT they must have come out of the same water's your fishing in!!! Best bet is read the reg's because the fine's are huge.

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I catch them in a lake that has rip rap going down into the water. Use a small hook and split shot, no bobber. Fish right at the waters edge and work the hook down between the rocks. Smaller gills will be close to the bank, bigger ones will be out about 3 to 4 feet from the bank. I use bee moth (wax worm) for bait. I catch about 30 to 40 gills an hour like this. Just keep moving, if you don't get a bite instantly move. It helps to take kids with you, they are fun to catch!!

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    yep can't use them in CA except on the Colorado River. but heck, sure makes a tasty dinner

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya dont get caught or AWNOLD might come after ya and squeeze the trans fat out of ya. :roll_eyes:

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    :eek:oooh:
    lmao lmao ozzy there is no tran's fat in me ...I drinlk the proper amount of the daliy recommed amout of beer lmao You squezze me it aint tran's fat that your going to get !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

My grand-farther would take my brother and I back in the woods off a river. We would go to small sloughs that were dryed up into small pockets in the summer. We would use a seign net and start on one end and work our way back to the other. Enough live bait to bait 5 trotlines with 40 hooks each. This is hard work and the third person stood on bank looking for snakes. Put the bait in 5 gal buckets and headed back to boat to rebait lines.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    No trans-fat allowed in California. Ain't'chall read the new laws? Anybody testing positive for trans-fat has to move to Arkansas! We'll welcome y'all with open arms....well, at least an open beer. (AND, it's legal to use bluegill/bream for bait here!)

13. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Not any law against live bait in Alabama. All I can say is come to Alabama and try it a time or two, you might want to move here. Ha:smile2:

14. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Yeah I was planning to do it in the colorado I looked into the regs on it and yeah pretty sticky but still I would like to get some insight from another thread to make a bait tank? A really nice one

15. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    get a little pole put a small bobber and small hook on get some wax worms try any creeks or any ponds you should be able to catch them

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Dynamite works really good when you can find it; hard to get a hold of these days though..............

......just messin with ya Jordan. My wife and I enjoy rod & reeling for bluegills just as much as we do catching the catfish, and spend more time in the pursuit of gills also. One of our favorite most effective bluegill rigs is simply a mini-jig spinner tipped w/ red or wax worm.