How do I catch bait in the mississippi river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Rusty, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I have looked on the Internet for info about fishing and this sight is by far the best one I have ever been on. I have read a lot of the articles and have learned a lot. I am new to the sight and would like some info on how to catch large bait for Flatheads out of the Mississippi river. I have never fished the Mississippi. I am planning a fishing trip to the Lagrange Mo. area in the middle of sept. Hows the fishing that time of year? I do fish the Missouri river around Brunswick,Miami. Mo. I catch shad with a through net. any help will be appreciated.

2. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish the Mississippi near Elsberry MO and I get goldfish at the local bait shop. They are not cheap at $4.50 a dozen but I figure if I can spend that much on beer why not bait too? Bass Pro Shops in St Charles sells goldfish at $8/dozen and another St Charles bait shop had them at $11/dozen so maybe my price is a bargain.
    I asked the lady in the bait shop what the locals use to catch bluegill and she looked at me with a look that said the locals go after bigger things than the bluegill.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    When I fish up there I try to get shad near the damns, or at the mouths of small creeks. I don't go quite that far north but I do know some people who live there and they catch a lot of fish there.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You should have the river mostly to yourself then, Rusty... Most everyone else will be goin' to the National Gathering at Kenlake about that time...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M.A.D.D.: Midgets Against Desk Drawers.

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Thanks for the help. I hope to go to the Mo. gathering next year . Thanks again.

6. fishhunter

fishhunter New Member

State:
    lagrange,mo
    hey rusty i live in lagrange. We catch most of our shad and skipjack around one of the two damns. you can also catch them in slack water around bridge pillars early in the morning. i normally catch bluegill out of ponds then use them on the river if i want live bait. normally if you know where to look shad aren't too hard to find. let me know when you're coming i'll help you find some bait.

7. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Hey Jason sounds great...pm me your e-mail add. and I will e-mail you. I have not yet posted enough to pm you.

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Where was the MO. gathering? Hope IL. has one soon.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If your talking about Unk's bait shop did you know that they have been getting in frozen skipjack. The ones we got Sat.evening there was 4.00 a container. They are some really nice people there and the price of gold fish aren't really that bad.I think JOe's Jug in LOuisiana ,Mo. sell them for 4.50 /doz for small and around 5.50 for large. Don't quote me on the large. Are you getting in the tournment at Louisiana,Mo next Sun the 20th.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Rusty WElcome to the BOC .As you have allready found out there is a lot of people on here willing to help out. This is just one great big Family. Kick back enjoy. If you ever get up to the LOuisiana ,Mo area let me know and maybe we can wet a line or two in the MissIssIppi or the Salt River.Maybe up around Saverton dam or The Coffer Dam at New London. Been some big Flats caught at the coffer dam. See nsome 40 # pulled out of there. Again Welcome and Enjoy!!

11. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Hey MRR. I will be over by La Grange for a week, 10th-17th of sept. wouldn't be to far to drive down for a day. Maybe we can get together some time that week. I plan on fishing day and night as long as I can stay awake. lol. I would rather fish then sleep.