How do I build a catfish cleaning table?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by okie catfishen, Jul 22, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I am going to build me a catfish cleaning table. I have a 5ft by 2ft top I want to use, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on things i could do to make it better. I have never seen a good one!

Thanks,
    Keith,
    Newcastle, Oklahoma

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Probably something in the library about it.
    Things I would have include;
    a spike to hold the catfishes head.
    A clamp from a fish cleaning board.
    A large hole at the other end to drop the carcuses through into a bucket.
    A water source if avalilable.
    A raised portion (like a 2 x 8 ) about 2ft long
    slots to hold knives and pliers.
    Some ort of light pole if workng inthe dark.
    A pan to hold cleaned fish.
    At least 2 holes 2 1/2 in diameter for holding beer or soda glasses.
    I actually used an old sink in mine with a hose hooked to the faucets.
    Legs bendable or stationary.
    Bug lite donated to neighbor.
    Flyswatter
    Small bowl to put retrieved hooks.
    Fan about 5 ft away will keep skeeters off of you ( they can't land in a breeze)
    Good luck.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I searched the Library. I cant believe what I got. Took a while but I came up with what I built. LOL. This was a long time ago. I cant believe its still there. Dang BOC is something else. I like it.
    maybe this will give ya an ideal.
    I still got table , it works good. and I got some pics of cleaning fish on it. Later this week, I might get em on my PC to post on this thread. Anyway Memories of BOC.
    Hope this link gives you an ideal. Right click open in new window are just click on it. Hope this link works.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    HEH, Dano beat me to his table hehe..
    I seen that a long time ago and thought it was an outstanding cleaning station...
    Great work and Im sure makes it a whole lot easier...I would recommend doing what he did...

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    One thing I did add on to my new table is a small hole (3/8") drilled all the way through the top to put the fishes side spine through while working on it. When I smack a cat on the head before cleaning it they always throw their spines out and stiffen up, using the hole allows the fish to lay flat and gives me a solid point to pull from.

6. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I didn't click on what Dano put up in his post, but if it's what i seen, it's what I'm going to build. Some day anyway. It's awesome.

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great idea man. The side fins always mess with me when I fillet the cats after I skin them. I usually break off the fins but I like th ehole idea.

8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Here's one I built out of some scrap lumber. Some 2x3's, 1x4's, a piece of 2'x4'X3/4" plywood and a couple of lawnmower wheels. I roll it out of the garage when I have fish to clean and when I don't, it doubles as a work table. I put a 5 gallon bucket on the shelf under the hole to catch the guts.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Grumpy, nice table. I use a lot of scrap stuff around the house. Lot of times it comes in handy and can make some useful stuff out of it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found a pic of useing my table. Those or what I call mud cats. I think they cross breed with a channel in that pond he caught em from. Never seen or caught one that big in a mud cat. I think it was a record breaker mud cat for a pond which is where a young man caught them. He called me, had em on ice all night and asked if I wanted em. I wasn't going to waste so I cleaned em, and had a fish fry. I usually dont eat mud cats, they just dont taste right, more of a trash catfish for me. but like I said, wasn't going to waste em , with right seasoning, they be ok. Last football ball season, them boys eat em up and never batted an eye. LOL..

I told him next time, throw em back or clean em yourself, I dont fish for em and dont want em. Been there done that. LOL.

believe it or not, they was all caught on a yellow spinner bait. 2 almost 7 lbs and 3 weighed 8 and a little over. Lot of meat. .

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Here's a tip; The most important part of a fish cleaning table is the height. Make sure it's at a comfortable height where you don't have to bend over while cleaning the fish. You can put a piece of plank across a stack of concrete blocks and clean fish as good as if it was a $100 table, but if it ain't the right height, you are going to be tired out by the time you clean a big bunch of fish and if you're old like me, your back will be hurting.

11. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    Grumpy and Dano those are some nice cleaning tables. I am going to build my real soon Thanks for you Ideas,

Keith
    Newcastle, Ok

12. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    WOW, I need one of these tables. Lots of very good ideas here. Thanks guys.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Grumpy, I like the looks of that. Kinda reminds me of an old tabacco cart and looks very versitile. Thanks buddy, I am going to have to try and replecate that one.

14. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Grumpy, you nailed it on the head when you said the part about height, I'm 6'1" tall, so for me to clean fish my table is a hair above my waist, which still gives me my skinning power with out being uncomfortable.I also mounted a 5 gallon bucket to the end that I place a garbage bag in to place the fish remains in.