How Do Catfish Safari Rods Compare?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by stumpjumper, Dec 5, 2007.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I am very interested in the Catfish Safari rods. I am kind of picky about the action and feel of my rods. I assume most of us are, especially if they are fairly expensive rods. Because shipping is around $25 for up to six rods, I will probably order at least three rods.

Anyway, I really like the action and feel of the Jim Moyer Boss series (#4). But there are some features of the Safari rods that I think I would like better (wrapped handle, yellow, etc.). If anyone has used both of these rods then you could really help me decide. Between the "lake" and "river" rods, which one is most comparable to the Boss #4 rods in trems of action? I fish both rivers and lakes. I drift, tightline and use clickers. I fish both Flatheads and Blues. Thanks for any advice or comparisons.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have not used the other rod, but have a CS lake rod. I cannot think of any fishing that i would need a heavier rod around here. I think it is the best all round rod i have in my arsenal. Good luck on finding someone that has used both, atleast i got it back on top with the new post!!

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Marc, I don't have a boss rod but my fishing partner Jim does. However Im not sure what model # he has for sure. The action on his is pretty fast, and compared to it the lake rod would be similar but I would say just a bit stiffer.

How much weight will you be throwing and how much current do you fish in?

From my experience useing the lake, river and flathead rods heres my take.

The flathead rod has the fastest action and is good for up to 6 0zs. of weight.
    The lake rod would be just a bit stiffer and is good for up to 8 ozs. of weight.
    The river rod is heavy action and good for heavier weights or fishing in heavier current.

If your fish rivers and lakes and also drifting get the lake or flathead rod.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    are they better than ugly sticks?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Now that is a question with lot of answers.
    I believe that dollar for dollar the ugly Stik is the best mass produced rod available.
    However, for some there is much more than cost to consider when choosing a rod. I currently use rods of my own building made from Shimano Aeroglass blanks. I also have a couple of Boss rods.
    I have seen and handled the CS rods and as I have stated in other threads, if I were in the market for new rods, CS rods would be at the top of my list...W

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    That's what I was thinking!

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I have both the Jim Moyer "The Boss" M/H and Heavy action rods and I just got a Catfish Safari Lake Rod and I really like the "Boss" rods but if I had to choose between the two I would definitely choose the CS rod, I can use as much weight on the CS lake rod as I can on the JM heavy action. I'm not sure how much weight you need to cast for your fishing conditions but I can fish lake or river here with 8 oz's or less but I don't have any BIG rivers here to fish only small one's, so you will need to decide if you need a rod that will cast more than 8 oz's. But if I'd known how well I would like this rod I would've ordered more than one to save on shipping cost but I didn't want to spend that much money and not like them but I do like them and I will order more. So if I were you and wanted more than one rod then I would go ahead order as many as I wanted but I'm just trying to help, I feel that you can buy with confidence but this is just my opinion.

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i agree with what spoonfish (terry greenwood ) said i own 6 catfishsafari lake rods for a few years now . i have fished in current using 8 ounce sinkers, drifted fishing, and tight lining. i simply love mine because the rods are built so well and are light so u feel every head shake and tug. we gonna order 6 of the flathead rods that way have my drifting reels on 1 set and my garcias on the other set.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I think channelkatman asked a legitiment question, the young man knows how his ugly stick performs and is asking how the CS rods compare to it. I'm sorry but I feel someone who uses a CS rod should try and answer his question, not just blow it off with a Larry the cable guy line. These young people are the future of this sport and it is up to us to help them along. If you don't want to take time to help him at least don't laugh at his question.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have another question on the CS Rods.

Does the wrapped handle fit into a 3/8" Driftmaster?

I currently have Tiger Sticks and they fit pretty snug and it's a bit of a hassle getting them out. Especially with a Cat on the other end of the line.:wink:

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Crazy, rep points don't mean much to me, you can neg. rep me all you want. I still feel his question deserves a real answer.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I have never fished with either the boss or the cs rods, I have and do fish with an ugly stick, I may not catch 50+# cat fish all day long My PB is a 45# flathead out of a smaller river in heavy spring flood with 4 oz lead, and it done just fine, has worked well on many 10-25# fish, and several 20+" stripers doing their thing, I would guess that either the boss or the CS rods are designed for heavier weights and currents, but My question is when is enough rod enough(?), and when is prestige of owning a particular name rod any different than driving a $50,000 sparkly bottom boat with 300 hp or a 16" john with a 25 hp, both get you there and back, and I have not seen a fish yet that swam by because of the color of the boat. just depends on how pretty you want to look wile doing it.
    JMO, if it works and ya like it then don't worry what the "Jones" are doing........

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah they fit real nice in 3/8" driftmasters

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It seems to me a real answer was given. I don't know maybe I'm just dumb and can't read or something.

fishnfwl -
    Have you ever hooked a fish and went dang I wish I had hooked him on my other rod? The catfish safari are that other rod! It's the rod you will want when you do get that 50# fish on your line. Don't let it fool you it let's you feel them little guy's as well.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, they fit. The cord wrapped handles are actually a bit smaller diameter than the typical foam grips.

Also make sure you're using the Driftmasters "properly" regardless of the rod -- you don't need more than an inch or two of the butt end of the rod sticking out from under the driftmaster; some folks put the rod so that the reel is centered in the holder and that's just asking for trouble. Same goes if you have 6 or 8 inches of the butt shoved down in there -- get a big fish on the line and you'll struggle to get it out of the holder... :crazy:

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    YES I did that once or twice and to be honest, I wished he had hit the lighter rod, LOL! would have been a bit more fun to me, BUT ALSO know that I am the type that likes to chase the big bite while testing my self with the lightest gear I can get away with, NOW on the other hand, don't get me wrong if I were in a tourney situation I would want the best over kill out there, and I am not saying that either of them rods are that, I was just stating to the fella that if you like what you have and it works for you then don't fix it if it ain't broke. Now ask me this question again this time next year after a summer of fishing on the Big river with all the fine fellas I am going to meet at Gateway, and I MAY JUST TELL him to trow that in the junk and buy a CS or a BOSS :wink:. As I said earlier, I can not give a comparison because I have not used either a BOSS or CS rod, and as of this day the ugly's I do have have not let me down yet. Maybe Santa will send me one to field test so I will know for sure.
    Randy

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Darryl, I can bring you my river rod tomorrow, so you can use it try it out for yourself.:wink: I think you'll like it.

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have 2 drift masters on my boat they fit great . no problem getting them out unless a biggun has the rod bent into the water:smile2:

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Donnie, I have used Ugly Sticks for years and still have some. I prefer the big water ugly stick rods and can say they have never given me any trouble.

With that said and to ansewer your question, I believe yes the Safari rods are better. The reason why is several things. The blank is better quality, the eyes are better quality, the handle is better quality and the wraps are better quality. Ive pretty much just described every feature there is to a rod and what I look for when purchasing a quality rod.

Granted the Safari rods cost a little more, I believe the big water Ugly Sticks I have I payed 60 something for them, so there is a little differance in price but not much.

So to me its all in what your happy with and can afford. Hope this helps...