How did you start in fishing or the outdoors?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gunner-Fisherman, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is something that is near and dear to me. I take my children fishing every chance we get, but with football practice and band practice it is not always as often as I would like…but we do what we can when the schedules allow.

For me…my fishing started in 1972-73 with my grandfather. He was getting ready to retire by 1975, and he wanted to break me into fishing early so he did not have to worry about it after he retired. With a child, the best thing to do, I still believe to this day, is to do what he did with me. He took me to a little lake, and we went behind the dam to the where the spillway fed the creek. There were (and still are) hundreds of bluegills in that little area. I had just as much fun watching the fish steal the bait as I did catching one! It taught me two things…how to catch fish…and how not to catch fish. I know that sounds strange, but think about it…I learned to tie a hook and sinker, learned how to cast (in my case it was a Zebco 202), and, most importantly, how to “set” the hook. It showed me that I am not going to catch a fish with every cast…but, if I do it right, in the right situation, I can still catch fish. Those first few times I lost more fish than I caught…so I learned how to not catch fish.

When he did retire in 1975, he and I went fishing every weekend. During the summer I stayed at their house so we went 3 to 4 times a week. He was more of a live bait fisherman…he had a few lures, but swore they did not work. He stuck with his trusty Zebco 33 reel and 10-pound test line.

In 1978 he gave me an old Garcia Mitchell 314 spinning reel that he had kept stored away for years…but then, to my surprise, he had my grandmother take me to buy two identical green Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500D baitcasting reels. He and I stood in the backyard with our baitcasters, practicing and casting over and over…but he quickly went back to that trusty 33 and returned his 55D to the store. I, on the other hand, had dreams of fishing all over the country, winning B.A.S.S. tournaments with that beautiful green 55D in my hand…

Through the years, as I grew up and he grew older, we still faithfully continued to fish every weekend and every summer, but by 1996 he was having a hard time walking around. Our last fishing trip took place where the first one happened 24 years earlier. Even though I had many different reels by that time, I fished that day with the Garcia Mitchell he had given me. And yes, he still had that same Zebco 33…but I made sure the line had been changed! The roles had changed by now…I was the one catching the bluegills, and he was the one that was remembering how to not catch fish. We laughed and talked about years and trips gone by…and we also sat and said nothing…which probably spoke the loudest. As I turned to wipe a tear from my eye, I saw him doing the same…even though we didn't say anything about it, we both knew in our hearts this was the last fishing trip we would ever go on together. He had given me a lifetime of memories, a tradition to pass along to my children, and a love for the outdoors that I hope everyone will come to understand in their lifetime. Oh…and also a love for Ambassadeur reels… which I collect now, and I use some of them every time I go out.

In case you are wondering…yes, I still have that Mitchell 314, and I still use it…and when I do, I look up to the heavens and thank him for the enjoyment he so unselfishly gave me. The green 5500D is still in my collection, and I plan on it being there for a long, long time. Sadly, in 1999 he passed on at the age of 88 after a surgery which was supposed to help him walk better, and we planned on fishing again…

So see, you never know just what you will teach or show a child when you teach them to fish…

Thank you grandpa…you are in my every thought…

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I started in the outdoors as soon as moma would let me go out out of the house and that was in 1955 or 56.My daddy was taking me fishing a 4 and hunting with a 22 at 8.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    ronno thanks for the story it brought a tear to my eye reading it and brought back memories of my grandfather as well , iv been fishin since before i could walk dad made sure my brothers and i knew how to survive off the land just as his dad did him so far im not only passing it on to my son but my step sons as well , long live family traditions and now with the BOC hopefully more will learn who have not yet

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My very first memory of me fishing was the first time in my dads jon boat on Pierce Lake. We were just out fishing for anything that would bite and I had a crappie on my pole and it took awhile for me to realize i actually had him hooked. I was only 5-6 years old and my dad yelled,"real him in johnny!" My first hunting trip was maybe a year later walking through a thick grass field carry 4 roosters in the back pocket on my vest and stumbling around thinking about how heavy those birds were. My dad let me carry my pellet gun with me and i walked toward the trail that was plowed through the field. Not 30 yards later my dad and his friends must have flushed a bunny my way and he stopped so close to me i could hit him with one of those roosters. I took aim and shot, thats all I needed. I was hooked. oh and I did get that bunny. Took a few shots though

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my dad was a trucker and never home even when he was home & mom worked 3rd shift & slept during the day. My only brother (10 yrs older) was assigned babysitting duty. he didnt like that so he taught me at age 4 how to fish so when i was a little older, he'd dump me off at the crick & then go off with his friends. to this day, my brother doesnt fish & hates seafood but I cant get enough. I grew up in the woods & down at the crick. I hate being in the city cause I have to travel to get somewhere decent.

since then I've taught his older daughter to fish and she loves it & Im waiting for the younger daughter to calm down before I let her near a sharp hook.

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Great story Ronno. We should all be so lucky as to be immortalized through the memories of the ones we love.

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    In my family you started fishing before you could even hold your own pole. Funny though the family has never been big on sport hunting. They used to meat hunt but mostly quit when bought meat was availible or affordable.

8. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    My first fishing trip I was maybe 4 or 5. the only things I remember are the cane pole and bobber i was using and the fact that I caught a lot of blue gills. later in life my dad told me I really only caught a few but he left them hooked on my line so I could pull them in again. Wow and I believed I was a graet fisherman. That was all it took for me and I have been fishing ever since.

9. Gunner-Fisherman

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you everyone for the kind words... I wish he was still around to see the how what he planted in me has turned out. I know he would be proud of what I have be able to get done with my fishing career.

I had my website posted in my profile and they took it out, told me it was not allowed. If you are interested PM me and I will forward you the link..

Thank you again ...

10. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ronno,

Actually, we told you it had to conform to the BOC community rules, located in the FAQ, and quoted below:

Links in public profiles:

Members with web sites may place link to their non-commercial home page in their public profile, WITH BOC STAFF APPROVAL, by reciprical link arrangement, where member places a prominent Reciprical Link to the BOC on their home page.
    If you wish to take advantage of this option, contact BOC Staff for Approval, provide member name and url to your homepage in the trouble ticket.

Staff can provide you a copy and paste HTML code for your home page

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My grandfather was from the back woods of Canada and claims to have never eaten domestic meat until he came to the U.S. and joined the Army. As soon as I could talk he started schooling me on fishing, hunting, and trapping. By age 6 he had me shooting his single shot .22, shooting bows, going to fish hatcheries, and by 8 or 9 going to Canada trout fishing. I've been an outdoors man ever since.

12. Gunner-Fisherman

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you

I would like to do that if possible... I really like the poeple here and have read some really good writing / post here

Nothing nicer then a bunch of fishermen/women!

13. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My dad got me into fishing when I was a small kid.You see my dad drove a truckand was on the road most of the week.He would come home late Fri night wake me up and put me in the camper and we wouldgo to the beach.I would wake up and get him up get something to eat and of to the Iron Steamer fishing pier.We would fish all day long and into the night befor we would leave to go home so he could get some sleepbefor he had to leave again.The weekends that we stayed home we would go to a pound down the road from the house.The pond had alot of briem and bass we never cout that muchbut I had the best time with him. I can still remember the first time they le me go by my selfa
    dad got colled in early and we had all the stuff ready to go.Heknow I was upsetso he talked to mom and they let me go for a couple of hours by my self.That made me fill like a man and I don what I was told made it back home in time and that was the start.Know over the years I hung around the rong groups you no the trouble makers.wWill they where making trouble I wasn fishing.And I can thank my dad for that.Know that I have a son of my own I will take him as much as I can and hope he gets out of fishing what I did.