How did you learn to fly fish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by LadyValea1, May 27, 2008.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    When I went to the Florida Keys, they offered fly fishing in the back country on skiff boats? with platforms where the guide would push off using a pole and call out the locations of the fish "Permits" ...but it was mostly fly fishing!:embarassed:

It look so fun! but where did you learn to fly fish, and is it a hard thing to do?
    I'm really interested in this. "is this something that I can learn on my own"?
    thanks

2. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i taught myself a couple years ago.it definantly takes alot of practice.just a warning when casting with wieghted flies....watch out,they can come back and hit you in the process of casting:smile2:.your best bet would probably be to take a class or get with someone who has some experience.hope this helps a little,good luck!

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Years back, I was maybe 10, one of my Sister's BFs gave me a cheap fly combo.
    I don't remember where I read how but it was probably from Field & Stream or some such mag.
    I was not real good but good enough for Bluegills and such. left the pole at a buddy's house bout the time his family pulled one of those "midnight moves" never saw it, or him, again.

Flash forward many decades and year before last a long time fishing buddy has gotten into it and stopped by with a pole to see if he could get me into it. Just like riding a bicycle, I picked it right back up.

I would never win a contest but do well enough to pick up the dumb Trout.

My pride has me stuck now but if I were to do it over again I would take a class.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i learned when i was a kid with an old fiberglass shakespear. i fished poppers for bream . now it's 40 years later and i still fly fish , as a matter of fact i do some guideing and alot of teaching along the white river in arkansas. i have graduated from 16 dollar fiberglass to 600 dollar graphites and there's one thing i can tell you for sure. flyfishing is a progressive sport. my cast is pretty decent and i can always find someone who is a lot better. i know 2 women who fish the beaver tail water that have the prettiest cast's you will ever see. my advice is find a good instructor and get some lessons.you can learn to cast on your own but in the long run you will have a much better cast ,much faster with proper instruction and practice.

5. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I taught myself. I read what I could and went at it. Back when I started fly fishing I hadn't even heard of anyone else that did it down here in Georgia.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    cast between 10 and 2 o'clock (like your standing in front of a clock) and on your back cast wait until the line uncurls completely behind you, thats the BASICS but i still recommend asking in a local fly shop

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I learned when I was about 8 years old. Tied my first fly about then with some mallard feathers I found lying around and even caught a fish with it before it fell apart. Been hooked ever since.
    Try some practice in a grassy area with a small piece of yarn at the end of your line. Start with a little line out until you get better.
    Always remember this: When you come back on your cast and right before you start to go forward whatever your line looks like there is what it will be when you go forward and finish your cast. When first starting to cast, watch your line when it goes back and you will see what I mean.
    Also , most beginner combos will have a slower action so make sure your line is almost straight on the backcast before your come forward with it.
    Don't just whip it.
    I hope this helped. Good luck and good fishing.

8. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Fly Fishing for Dummies and practice in the back yard with a piece of yarn tied to the end of the line.

Warning though, it can become highly addictive. :tounge_out:

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Like mentioned above, I learned 45 years ago, probably from reading Field & Stream or Outdoor Life. I still have a couple of those old fiberglass Shakespears & those Martin automatic reels. I never did get good enough to brag, but have caught many bluegill with flyrods. I got back interested year before last and bought a new outfit from Cabela's. My goodness how the equipment has changed. One of those few times where new is so much better than what we had in those "olden days". I won't mention the name here, but there is a website that can teach you far more than you will need to know, about flyfishing. Hmmm, kinda like this place does concerning catfishing.

I take a flyrod with me when I fish the Mississippi River alone. Pretty cool catching extra bait while waiting for a cat to bite. One of these days, I'm going to catch a catfish on my flyrod. I already have a great looking shad fly just waiting for me to try out.

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    taught myself when i was in my teens what a mess the 1st few times out lol but i did fly fish for alot of years finally gave it up just bank fish now :big_smile:

11. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I taught myself years ago, my wife picked it up with me also. One thing I try to tell beginners is slow down. There are some good books out there and also some good videos. Find someone that fly fishes and they will be more happy to help you out.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I got my first fly rod as a kid. I learned by watching fishing the west (is it still aired?) and dodging my own bad casts and knotting up many a leader. Not to mention the horrible trees that liked to jump infront of me when casting. Now I have a new flyrod and have better programing on tv to watch & learn.

13. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    I learn the basics from my brother (a flyfishing guide) and then practiced lots while he watched and made adjustments. It is possible to teach yourself, but I would recommend at least a one hour lesson (available at most flyshops). Like many things it's easy to develop bad habits that are hard to break.

Good Luck

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm still in the self taught learning process,I don't plan on getting into the snobby type end of it,just wanted to try and learn it for gills.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I know the feeling. Round here theres a section of river thats catch n release fly fishing only but the snobby guys dont stick to that section. I always get some smirks when I come by with a stringer of trout & my fly rod instead of my spinning gear. To me its all about matching the hatch. I've been out with other baits that wont produce because theres a hatch. SO now I can switch rods to bring home dinner.

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I learned to fly fish when I lived and fished near an airport. I was using a bobber, really strong line, and casting to the other side of the pond. Can you see where this is going??? LOL fly fishing this way is fun, but the landings are horrible !

17. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    You can buy a book or a video and they will help but when that guide points to a ghost in the ripple and says 90 ft at three oclock ,you are not going to teach your self to cast that kinda distance in the back yard .Most fresh water stuff is close put not out on the salt flats it's windy and hot ,and the fish are picky and spooky .
    Go thke a glass at the local collage or go to a fly shop and ask about classes .Please stare with fresh water and learn the basics with all the finess and then when you got it take a class from a salt water instructer , and you will enjoy it all

BE well mule

18. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I learned 34 to 35 years ago from my Dad and have found no better way to catch gills for bait. I can work a fly rod quite well and my wife even says she enjoys watching me use a fly rod. You can teach yourself, but learning the proper form is very important from the beginning. I would suggest the same as others have a 1 to 2 hour course will get you started, but then you are looking at a lifetime of learning. I still find things that change the way I will manipulate a cast just to get the right placement I want on any given cast. Practice is the most important thing and the more you practice the better you will be able to place the fly or popper exactly where you want i

I have a 7 year old son of my friend asking for lessons and you know today might be a good day to start. I will tell you how I will start him and you can decide if it is for you. I will sacrifice a small popper by cutting off the hook and start him with about 10 feet of line plus the leader and then adjust line length accordingly until he can place a smooth even and relativly straight cast consistently. The main thing is patience and timing. With the lure in front of you raise your fore arm up to the 1:00 position roughly or just behind your head and give the line time to straighten out behind you keeping your upper arm at about 45 degrees to your body and the waters surface. It will only take a second for the line to straighten out with a short distane of line out and this time will increase with the length of line you have out in front of you. Just as the line straightens out start the forward thrust. The power and control is 95% in your fore arm. Bend it at the elbow and with a lot of practice you will learn to feel the line start to straighten out behind you on your back cast. If he can handle this I would then let him fish at this distance to learn line retrival. Then move him out and add more line and let him progress at his own pace.

I don't use an automatic reel I use old school where you strip the line and let it fall to your feet. I use the fly rod I learned with to this day and have thought of upgrading, but I could not tell you how many thousands of fish this rod has brought back to the boat. It has brought in everything from a minnow to a six pound large mouth along with a few other species. I strongly advise anyone interested to give fly rodding a try, and I guarantee you will be hooked. I can take a chartruse popper and catch gills when nothing else seems to work, and I can fill the live well with gills for bait in just a short time.

I would like to register this as a personal quote "A fly rod in the capable hands of a trained and practiced person is more art than it is fishing"!

19. jgr220

jgr220 New Member

State:
    P.A.
    I gotta disagree With that statement. And make a recomendation. Lefty Kreh has a video out on casting that is great he is the authority on fly fishing, also any books by him are loaded with great information on the subject. After watching the video and practicing for about an hour in the yard I was consistently able to cast a whole 110' flyline and considerable backing roughly 20':wink: of it.

20. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Just get out there and enjoy yourself.

The key to fly fishing is practice, practice,practice.

Even if you have to get out in the middle.

Start with short cast, gradually working up to longer ones.

I have been fishing with a Fly rod since 1970 when I was handed one ad was told "Here fish with this"

No need to take a class, just enjoy it! :wink:

opj