How did you get your catfishing craze?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by bluehunter, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    How did you get into your catfishing craze? Generally a lot of us started out as fishing for other species prior to getting the catfishing craze. Mines go back years to when I was a child going back from my young age of 36 now.

As a child I remember going to elementary school in Compton and being baby sitted by Ellie Mae from Mississippi. Her husband name was John who we called Pie. My parents met them when we live in Compton at the time and they bady sitted my sister and I as well as others from around that age to even picking us up from school in Compton till I graduated from St Timotys. We continued to go to school in Compton until I left 6th grade.

Pie was an advid fisherman. Coming from Mississippi he grew up fishing and he been in California for a little while due to the great migration of the south of African Americans to the west coast as well as the north and upper east coast to get better jobs from the booming industries due to the military. He had a foothold in compton at that time. He was a Korean War veteran, and I also believe WWII. He also knew of many places to fish at in Ca. My father at the time was not into fishing but Pie offered to take us fishing and introduce us to the great fun and excitement that was to be had by all. Thanks to this man Pie, I enjoy a sport that I still enjoy today that has giving me many memories since I was 5 years old. Plus introduced so many others to the sport and to share knowledge gained over such a life span I have experienced. Pie passed away in the late 80's, but I will always remember him. Like when I tried to cast my dropper loop rig with my double hook and it caught him when I started to cast. He was a cussing and stuff, it was funny but he still took us out and showed us a good time and more times. I also remember my dad having a big cat on his pole at Irvine Lake. He was too big to put in the net and we had him at the top of the water. Pie reaches over and tries to pull the cat in with the line and the line snapps. LOl We must have had about 14 pound test on it. My dad was mad. But its all in the fun and memory of fishing.

Pie took us to many places. Salton Sea, Canals around the IV at that time we knew nothing about it. Perris Lake. Irvine. Skinner. Lake Henshaw and Vail Lake. Elsinore. Many other places as well. Since my dad worked at the naval station in Seal Beach plus was retired Army as well, we had an opportunity to get on the base. So we also fished Lake Oneil at Camp pendleton and even fished at the Naval Weapons station in Seal Beach catching Tom cod, opeleye, buttermouth perch, sand and calico bass, and even the halibut and sometimes sand sharks or small blue sharks. At the lakes mentioned prior we would catch bluegills, crappie, and catfish. I have so many memories fishing the bases in saltwater and fishing the lakes for gill and crappie that we would be so glad to bring home the fish for the fries we use to have at that time.. And we had a lot of them in Carson because house parties was frequent back then and my parents use to throw them a lot - folks was not acting up like they do now at house parties and it was all good back than. Ahh Parliament and Funkadelic, the dazz and Gap band, Lakeside and the Barkays, Confunksion and many other brings back memories at that time for music at the house. Also hanging out at Victoria Park as well as Del Amo park playing football and swimming at the pool at Victoria and Uncle taking me to see Kung Fu movies or Jackie Chan, Bruce lee, the kung Fu connection as well as my hero at that time Jim Kelly. We all use to wear those shoes and practice Kung fu on the front yard in the hood. LOL, But back to fishing. LOl. Getting caught up in old time memories.

I owe a lot of gratitude to Pie for setting the foundation. Those Salton Sea trips was epic back in those days catching hundreds of tilapia plus getting some Corvina which was out of site at that time but is now done with. These trips got me hooked. It was fun. My father and I both fell in love with fishing and continued it for years to come buying fishing poles, tackle, watching Roland Martin, Orlando Wison, Bill Dance and a few others. It was something that continued for decades. Even my brother in law got into fishing and we made many trips to Vail Lake and Henshaw slaying the crappie. We also continued pier fishing at the weapons station too. Drugs took my brother in law out of the picture after a while but my father still took me fishing. This fun activity of fishing continues eventhough I slacked off during my teenage years due to other interests and my few years of street running with gangs but I took the interest back up again when I went off to college and returned back to Cali from Georgia on and off from 90-93 and permanently back in 93. My father and I continued to fish even doing some overnight ocean and fishing Irvine, Sarl, and San diego crappie lakes. We never caught anything big but did get some dd size trout and catfish up to 20 pounds plus we joined a catfishing club centered around Irvine, Sarl, and Corona, the superfish club at that time that went on from about 93 to 96. We had a lot of fun competing and learned how to get into some big boys from the members of this club that consistant of many giants in the fishing arena for catfish at the time. After a while my father became ill and he was diagnosed with a brain Tumor. I use to wonder why he would fall asleep easily and lack energy. He passed away in 98, but I still continued fishing even while I was in the Army and going to school for my second degree. I always wished he was there when I caught my big catfish. He would have been proud because that is something we always wanted to do. I singed up to web boards at that time like fishing hotpage in 97 or 98 now FNN. Got into trout fishing big time and use to be the man in trout fishing getting lots of dd size trout. Met a lot of people. Started to venture into catfishing a little more as I was seeing people get 60 - 70 pound cats at Irvine. I wanted to get me one too. Some guys in the old club, Chuck and Eliane and Phi and Tiny gave me some valuable info to help me into getting 40 pound class cats at Irvine. Also meet Catmando around 97 and we both was into trouting at the time but got interested in Catfishing. We both caught the craze at the same time and went fishing together and shared details and secrets. I caught dd size cats up to the 20's but the giant always eluded me for a few years until around 98 when I finally got my first big blue at 46 pounds. I lost countless big blues at Irvine for a few years prior due to breaking line, too tight of drag, breaking pole. etc. I had no idea how to get the big one in until I learned from all of mistakes I made prior to then. My boy gets the state record in 2000 at 89 pounds at Irvine. We are all stoked and happy about that. 4 months later a guy breaks it at San Vicente. We always wanted to fish there because we would hear of guys name Cody, Clint Hicks, and Preston that was always pulling out 40-50 or 60 pound cats from there, but we just never made way there until the 101 pounder was caught. We been on a big cat mission since getting many from 2000 to now but the craze really started with the 89 pounder in the year 2000. We met Cody and Preston around 2001 and they shared secrets at the V with us that helped us out alot. So from those year on to now we have many memories of fishing and pics to share. I joined the BOC aoround the year 2002 and learned even more details to sharpen up my game in catfishing. Meet cool people. Started organizing and doing events around 2004 on and off with Catmando and started really doing them in 2005 on FNN and BOC alike. Started my own informational website in 2005 and started a forum in 2007. Meet Riverbud who introduced me to flatheads as he use to always talk about the river at that time and I always wanted to go but never knew where or how to get them. He took me out in 2006 and I been a fan of flatheads ever since getting big flats and introducing others as well to it. And the rest is history. This is how I got into my catfishing craze I have now. I also fish saltwater too for Tuna and yellowtails since the early 90's but that is a different story aside from what we all love in catfishing.

So how did you get your craze? I am sure we all have memories and stories to share describing that. I sort of condensed mines up it could of been pages, but the basis was covered pretty much. So how about you?

PS - This is in memory of my father Tom Cummings Jr and Pie. Thanks to you I am what I am today in fishing.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I was raised catfishing. To me, Catfishing is a way of life:wink:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To make it short, I was fishing for bass one day and then a buddy came up and said you ever catch a skipjack, I said no whats that and he said tie on a jig and a curl tail cast out and make a speedy retrieve. I caught the first one and man was it an adrenaline rush!:big_smile: He said these are perfect bait for catfish and I said really so we cut em up and got some hits I think got a small channel ever since.. I was hooked.:wink:

4. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I fished an amish pond with some doughballs to catch some of the giant algae eating fish I ended up with a 6+plus hybrid catfish. I was hooked for life I got the picture in my photo album marked childhood pictures if you want to see it

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Fished all my younger years in a small creek an one day I caught a catfish! After that it was on. I can never forget catching that first one!

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Seems like my earliest memory of fishing is catfishing.
    I can remember fishing on the bank next my Granny and every time she caught a little cat she'd holler and laugh like it was the grandest thing she had ever done.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    What was the catalyst though? I know some will have to go deep into the memory bank. Like the first time. Thank back like Betty Wrights tonite is the night. :big_smile:

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Brian great post! I still remember when I fell in love with catfishing; I was 4 years old just got out of preschool for the summer. My mother took me to Ford Park in the city of Bell Gardens. I saw this man catching Channel Catfish with chicken liver. I swear, channel Catfish were the pretiest fish I have ever seen! From that time on I was hooked on Catfishing.
    I have to give my Mother props for taking me fishing at Ford Park. I remember her sitting under neath the trees reading; she gave me my space but never letting me out of her site. When my mother and Father had Family Reunions Ford Park and I got older, you could always find me at the pond fishing for catfish or bluegills. Every once in a while I will drive to Ford Park and rember my child hood days.

Jaime

9. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    1951 ON PIGEIN CREEK NEAR EVEINSVILLE, IND, CAUGHT A 8" BULLHEAD
    ON A CANE PLOE AND WORMS. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THE BIG ONE
    FOR 58 YEARS, HAVENT GOT HIM YET BUT I'M WORKING ON IT

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Like i said earlier, i was raised catfishing. Some of my earliest memories is catfishing with my dad on the river. It is not just a sport to me. It is my way of life:wink:

11. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I purchased a boat last spring and started Crappie Fishing in this cove on Old Hickory Lake in Tennessee, I saw all these swimming pool noddles floating in the water and some of them were bobbing up and down. Well curiosity killed the cat and I just had to see what was on the other end of that noddle, it was about a 10 pound channel cat. I noticed a name and phone number on the side of the noodle so I called the gentlemen and told him that I looked at one of his jugs and that I would like to get with him about this jug fishing gig. He filled me in, I made my own jugs and been fishing every since! I am HOOKED!!!!!!

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice. That something there. Fishing with my dad. Many memories. Was looking for the spark that set it off like location and such like I was at Salton sea and other places. Elaboration. :big_smile:

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I started fishing and hunting at 5. Fished and hunt the same slough I fish today. Many memories out there at Mendota slough:wink:

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thats cool. I hear jug fishing is fun eventhough it is outlawed here in Ca. I can see some excitement pulling a nice cat on a jug though.

I ran into many other recent converted catfisherman too. Some saltwater and some bass fisherman that wanted the opportunity to tangle with a nice cat and been hooked ever since.

15. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I could write a book on this, but I'm at work and will briefly give the rundown. I started fishing at about 3 yrs old with my grandfather when we lived in Montana. He would take me to the lake and river and we would always do trout fishing, mainly with lures. On the lake mainly bobbers and nightcrawlers. I can even remember driving trucks out on the frozen lake doing some ice fishing. We use to catch fat rainbows ice fishing.:wink: I remember at 5yrs old catching my first dd trout at 10lbs. Don't even ask how long it took to reel it in, it seemed like an eternity at 5yrs old. I had went with my uncle and his friend and they were laughing at me and wouldn't help me either(assholes). My uncle and his friend took me fishing a lot too. My uncles friend took me to a place when I was about 6yrs old and that is where I caught my first catfish, and a bunch of them. What was weird was they were like lil bullheads and we were catching them in a creek. I also remember them shooting the bulls in the nuts with the BB gun(not cool, but at 6 I thought that was funny). We took the catfish home still alive and he put them in a pond and they lived forever. He would eat one or two from time to time though. Later when I was older and moved back to Montana for a year when I was about 8 or 9 I went on a few pike trips with my grandpa. That was cool because I had never seen such a big ferocious fish as the pike. I know we ate it, but couldn't tell ya if it was any good or not. One other thing we use to do off of fishing, but still outdoors was hunting. White-Tail deer, Mule deer, Elk, pronghorn antelope, moose, coyotes, rabbits and even squirrels, oh yeah I forgot about those stankin ass skunks too. So by the time I got exposed to the city life I had already experienced a lot of what the outdoors was all about. The city(Fresno) had other plans for me though. For awhile, just like Blue I too was led astray. I would still hook up with my grandpa like once a year and go fishing. Once he was in the bay he used to know a man that cut up the whole cow for a cheaper price per lb deal. On his property in Tracy, CA he had some canals that ran through it and we would fish there all by ourselves. It was so peaceful and quiet and we would ALWAYS catch enough cats for a nice fish fry.:wink: Once my grandpa(I had no dad growing-up) passed away I took it pretty hard. He was the man that showed me everything I know about being a man and taught me to hunt and fish. After awhile I started getting back into fishing and it is like he still lives through me when I am fishing, if that makes any sense to y'all. And once I got a few good catfish holes I was hooked on catfishing. For years I would go to Tracy all by myself and fish all night. Most of the time with a friend or two, but sometimes solo. Once I hooked into an 11lb channel I was really hooked, gut hooked. I think I liked the night-time camping, with good peeps and few brewskies too. To this day I love just sitting by the water during the sunset getting anxious for the late nite bite. Obviously the BOC took my catfish game and knowledge to another level with people like Bert, Bayrunner Ray, Blue, Bulldogboogers, Tom, BIG RANDY aka KnotGillty(I really gotta tip my cap to that guy), Robb(my folks), Linz, and last, but defintiely not least my boy DCR(DesertCatRat) for showing me how to really get down and dirty for those flatheads. I caught the fishing craze as a youngin, but the catfish craze in 2000. Now all I have to do is hook up with Big Bluehunter and learn about the bluecats. After that I will be a well-rounded catfisherman. I don't have monster cat stories(yet), but I definitely know how to catch them and have caught a shit load of cats. Some CPR'd and some went down the hatch. This took longer than I thought. I thought I was gonna keep it short, but really this could have turned into a Nobel Prize.:smile2: Anyways, thanks Blue for the post and letting us reminisce:roll_eyes: on how it all started. This really makes me want to take my son out fishing and look up to the sky to my grandpa:roll_eyes: and say "thanks" and "I love you".:wink:. Can't wait to hear others stories too, I'm out!

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    [​IMG] How did you get your catfishing craze? I'd have to say that the craze was created by my folks .... years ago... fished for everything... the first cats were caught under the 105 freeway before it was born....LOL... been fishing for everything in the freshwater of California... (no sturgeon).. the craze for cattin came from reading the "Infishermen" mag. and more importantly the "catfish insider" way back to 1980 something... first started collecting articles from various magazines etc... and then it was really getting going when I fished the Sacramento Delta area....

Fished mostly by myself... but some friends did join in occasionally... the kids.. sure they did it... but not until 2005 and my joing the BOC did things take more shape.... I first started with "National Cat" in 1990.. but did not seem to be anything here (organized) at that time....

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is an awesome story Sean. It is always good to go back in memory lane I think about my dad all the time. I also think about Pie too. We did not have the best of equipment like we have now, but we had the go abouts of getting out there and that is whats counts. I know they are looking down on me. They are amazed that I have a boat too I know they are. Woow this is something. This should give us the encouragement to help shape future memories of youngins like what was done for us. Thanks for the post.

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is cool to hear. Ray. What fishing spot did they have at the 105 location back then? I never even knew of that. I know with the build ups it is gone now from LA to the 605.

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Details? I don't really have any. Can't remember a time when I did not fish. Can't remember my first cat. don't recall that the family has ever been without a boat for very long.

At the time I was born my folks were big time river rats with a 14 ft wooden runabout. They both worked so I spent lots of time with my Grandmaw who was a hardcore bank catfishing lady.

In my teen years, fishing turned into parties. Little to no adult supervision for all those things teens like to get into, and fish to boot! :wink:

As a young adult, I had a growing family to feed on a very tight budget, fishing, hunting, and gardening kept the freezer full.

I am just an old fishing junkie, any kind, any size, any time, anyplace.
    I do favor catfishing though, I find it much more relaxing and the older I get, the more I appreciate that.

Kicked back with some good nature, good friends, cold beer, maybe some good tunes,, darn hard to beat that with your clothes on. :big_smile:

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice post Lawrence. With some of us fishing been around forever and a day. Some from little seeds to some a day ago.