How did you end up where you are at?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    How did you end up where you are at?

Are you living at your location do to environment, where you were raised?

Were you moved around by the military, and called it home?

Did you plan the move, ending up where you calculated?

Is it health related?

WHAT CAUSED YOU TO CALL XXXXXXXXXX your home town?

Very interesting on how people end up calling a place home. How did you come about calling your location home?

Thanks,
    Paul

P.S. I am wondering because I never would have dreamed the place I will end up would be called home. The military had a major factor. At the end of a small dirt road, in a small Georgia southern county, will be where I call home.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was born and raised in Chillicothe Ohio, never lived farther than 20 miles from home...I have been tempted, but I always stay here.

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I moved around alot when I was a kid, as alot of single parent familys do. I was in a bigger town 15 miles from here and runnin with the wrong crowd. I moved to Elk Horn, My sophmore yr of Hs and got involved in sports and loved it. Went to college for a whole semester and a half:lol: , and moved back to this area. Decided this was where I wanted my son to be raised. We have lived in the Elk Horn area for the last 16 yrs and dont plan on moving. It is smalltown USA and it fits me just right!! Stan

4. I am living less than ten miles from where I grew up. In spite of seeing Europe, Missouri, South Carolina and New Jersey on the Uncle Sam plan I knew from childhood where I would live. On the water just west of where I grew up on the river I spent so much time on as a child.
    As an adult I have one more planned move to make to fullfil my father's lifelong goal. His father moved from the family homeplace in 1945 to take a job at US Steels Fairfield works due to the fact that my grandmother was dying with TB and he had three boys under the age of three plus an elderly mother to care for. Granddad was the last of the family to leave the homeplace that had been continually occupied by the family since 1813. Dad has always claimed that he would move home one of these days but due to work and family he has made a life here in central alabama.
    When my children are grown and gone the missus and I will be moving back to south alabama. Even then it will be on the water, we will be looking for a place on the Tombigbee river near Coffeeville.

5. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    born and raised in Albany GA, joined the military at 19 and traveled the world from fort Eustis, VA to Fort Lewis WA,Kawait (desert storm) to Korea to Fort Benning GA, Bosinia
    to Germany, back to Korea to Fort Campbell KY to Iragi and got off active duty after 15 yrs and joined the reserves 3 yrs til I retire.

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good info so far!

It is always amazing how we end up where we do?

We have all traveled and asked ourselves, "I wonder how these guys ended up here"?

Now we know! :wink:

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Well I lived in Santa Cruz Calif near the ocean for 20 years! I came back to the "armpit" of Calif, to care for my elderly parents! I hope to move back to North Calif. coastal mountains at the end of a dirt road!

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was born in Xenia, Ohio. (Home of the Twisters) My mom & dad lived in a place called Overlook Homes in Dayton until I was 1 or 2 years old, we then moved to Fairborn, OH. I left home before I got married, moved 1/2 up the road, then moved 10 miles away to Riverside, OH after we had our kids. We got into serious money problems due to some predatory lending stuff, moved back to Fairborn, about 5 miles away from where I grew up & where my parents and sister still live. Then 7 or 8 months ago my grandfather bought a house 2 doors down from my parents. He fixed the house up & now we are renting it & will prob buy it down the road. Yes, I have ended up 2 doors down from where I spent the 1st 20+ years of my life. I wouldnt have it anyother way. I could not imagine not being this close to my dad, espically now that his health isnt so good.

Do you know that song Daddy by Conway Twitty? Thats like an anthem to me. I can cry at the 1st note.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Never realy left. Did my stint in the military and when I got done came rite back here. The Mrs. is from the same area. Got a real good job so that certainly helps with the decision to stay. Hopein to bug out when I retire,but who knows what the future holds. LOL!

10. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I was born and raised in the hills of wash state, joined the army after highschool in 88', seen new jersey, virginia, north carolina, and the big sand box in 90', got out of the army in 91 and was offered a job from my wifes family working as a well digger in iowa. been in iowa 15 years so far.

11. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Was born and raised in Oregon. Traveled allot to other places outside the US but never left to other states much. Joined the millitary and got placed in Missouri. Not bad here and thought about moving back to Oregon when I get out but allot has changed and now I think I may just kind of float wherever the current takes me so I really don't know where I would call home. Missouri for now, ???? later. I'm a work in progress. This is a very good post I might add because I have often wondered how people ended up where they did and why.

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was born and raised in central Illinois. I spent 3 years in NM and Texas with the Army and came back to Ill. where my family lived. I believe that family and relatives made me stay here and my kids will continue that process.

13. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I was raised about 100 yards from my current location. I took off during my mid 20's in search of my fortune and to see the country. Traveled from job to job and state to state doing environmental work for about 5 years. I've been back here about 11 years now. I didn't find a fortune, but I did find home.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Born and raised in Central Oh, saw many places while Active duty, came back to help Mom and Dad. I was thinking of moving down south (Tenn or Georgia) met my wife had babies and got in serious debt LOL. Still would move for the right price tho. I know I would be starting all over again and that scares the {bleep} out of me.

15. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Well i have lived here in vassar michigan for 37 years. Not that it's a great place to live but my dad died when i was 12 and mom took care of me and has been there for me always! Now she is 72 and it's my turn to take care of her and will till she is gone than i will be moving south tenn or kentucky.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My folks moved around a lot. I was raised in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Indiana. After high school graduation I went into contracting with the Telecommunications Industry living out of Hotels for over about 5-6 years. I bought my first home in Potomac, Illinois then moved about 12 miles away to Oakwood, Illinois. I lived in this area for over 12 years and still consider this my home to a certain extent. I got laid off in 2001 and my girlfriend and I decided to move to Moundsville, WV from where she was born and raised. This is presently our home now.

17. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was born In Shreveport,Louisiana and grew up in Haughton which is about 10 miles east of Shreveport.When I got married I moved about 1.5 miles down the road and then a few years later I rebuilt an old rent house that my mom had and moved into it.It is located about 10 feet from her house.My wife and I take care of our place and my parents place...

18. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I bet deep down inside they do !!

19. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I am a wonderer and have never stayed in one place very long. Spent ten years in the marines and it seemed every time I got a pay raise we looked for a better place to live. When my first wife left me for another man she took the kids and I was nerve able to get close to them after that. I lived close to where my parents were at until they both passed and then I just sort of moved on again.
    About 5 years ago I met my wife on line and came down to Louisiana to visit her. Wasn't that interested in the area but she was grate. We tried living in Illinois for a year but she just couldn't take the cold weather. We moved down here about three years ago and I bought the home we live in now, thought it would be our retirement home but it just didn't seem to work out. Just about need a police road block to hook up the boat in the front yard ( yard not big enough to get both boat and truck in so have to have the truck on the road to hook up boat). That and the fact that I am a country boy and can not stand the traffic around here. We found a peace of property about 100 miles from here with a nice stocked pond. We purchased the land and are having a home put on it at this time and will be moving there in the next two months if all gos good. Hope this will be the last move. Want to get settled in have friends over for fishing and a good time and just be with my wife.

20. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    My house sits on the same site that my parents first house sat on, I'm 5th generation on this farm, have traveled a lot, but never lived anywhere else, this is home.