how did you decide on fishfinder to buy??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by katplayer187, Jan 7, 2009.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    how did you decide on the fish finder/sonar that you bought?? im looking to spend around 500$ and will be mostly fishing the 3 rivers in pittsburgh.. any help will work..

2. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I have owned a few and my 2 cents is you can't go wrong with lowrance...:wink:

3. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    im really looking into the lowrance x510c and the humminbird 47 3d... i like the humminbird 3d because you can really see what the structure under you is trees,logs,road beds, old barges...but i understand what your sayin with you cant beat a lowrance..

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    After talking to a couple of the guys who fish a lot here in the bay, and are very successful, I would go with Lowrance or Garmin. They are more expensive, but a lot of times you get what you pay for. Go to a boat store and play with them on their "demo mode". See which setup/layout you like best. Then see what kind of options you like or need. You can buy a lot of sonar for $500. If I remember correctly, you could get a sonar/gps combo for right around that price point, if you shop around.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i bought the matrix 47 in the summer and love it, i used ta have the humminbird 525 then picked up the 47 and also picked up the gps reciever very cool 3 d feature, split screen gps/ 3 d bottom or 2 d, haven't had any problems and very easy ta use just like my 525 was, price should be comming down i heard that they are comming out with a newer model 3 d

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    another nice feature is you can zoom in on the bottom with the 3 d, i'm also glad i got the additional gps reciever for 100 bucks, its nice ta mark waypoints, and exact location also leaves a bread crumb trail so you can back track your path which is great at night, the model 47 comes with a paddle wheel speed-o or if you get the gps and get the speed from that, i still haven't learned all the features this thing has yet, and it's very easy to use, basically turn it on and your ready to go, but the way it shows fish on the 3 d mode is awesome

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i called and asked several guides what they used and what they would recommend. Steve Brown with Catfish Safari was the most help he recommended that i get a Lowrance 17m. I got it and i love it, by far the best FF i have owned. It is not color, but i run it in conjunction with my color eagle and it is almost 100% on all the time