How did this get turned around?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Kat-tamer, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am taking online classes and had to report information about another country. I chose Ireland cause I've always wanted to go there. While looking at some of their folklore I found that some of the things are completely opposite of what is believed here in the US.
    the one that I am wondering about is this:

According to the Irish folklore, A black cat crossing your path is GOOD LUCK!

So how did this get turned around to bad luck here?
    Now I know that I'm talking about another kind of cat here(the 4 legged fury kind) but I am curious as to how things like this happen.

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    because folk lore is just that, lore told by regular folk. if it gets passed around enough someone actually write it all down. plus different religons put spin on local lore that they feel are detrimental to christian beliefs.
    (can you tell i watch to much of the history channel .... lol)

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    leave it to the british to do things opposite of what its should be. like driving.... though I do understand why the custom of driving on the other side of the street started from (so knights can draw & strike an oncoming opponent with their sword).

4. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Sheila:

Ain't got a clue as to why the "black cat" is bad luck everywhere else, when I was growing up over there that's just the way it was, I never bothered asking why, I just accepted it.

Here's one for ya that I bet you DIDN'T read:

When people are in company & somebody opens up their cigarettes & passes them around, the person THEN takes his/her lighter & offers to LIGHT the smokes. He/she will light the 1st, light the 2nd, then take the lighter away & light it in mid-air for a coupla seconds & then light the NEXT cigarette. That will have been classed as the 4th light because 3rd light is BAD luck & it dates back to the first world war. They reckon a lot of guys DIED from it in the trenches of the Somme.

Sniper activity was most active during the hours of darkness & lit cigarettes was the main thing that German snipers used to keep an eye open for. If a bunch of guys passed the smokes around, they then LIT those cigarettes. On the first light, it caught the sniper's attention, on the second light, he took aim, on the third, he fired!

Hope you liked this bit of cultural trivia.

Tight lines & good luck!!

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    At least your theroy of the lit smokes does make some sense. Never did understand the Black Cat theroy. Just another cat to me.

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I always thought a cat crossin the road was just tryin to lose on of his nine lives!

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sheila, That's a good question. I went to do a bit of research and was amazed to see just how much folklore and superstition there's been throughout history - about cats! Must be their attitude of superiority and... well... cattiness :roll_eyes:... that's inspired so many stories.
    Here are just a few of them - http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/folklore.htm

By the way, if ya have a cat, might not wanna tell him this Arabian proverb: The cat was created when the lion sneezed :big_smile:

P.S. Mike, thanks for the history of the 3rd light!

8. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is very interesting. Most of it contradicts what I was reading yesterday, and now I can't find that website!:sad2:
    Anyway what I was reading about basically said that they thought very highly of cats. There was even one that said if you move, and cross a stream, you SHOULD carry a cat across to bring good luck to the home.:confused2: Another said that if a stray cat sleeps on your porch you are to feed it to bring prosperity to those in the home.:smile2: (I like this one but Matt would kill me if I keep a cat!:sad2:)
    I wrote some down so I could remember them, but apparently didn't write down the site. I will do some more searching & see if I can find it.

9. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    The black cat in the States being bad luck probably comes from the days when everyone believed in Witches and the Black Cat was a tool of a witch.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sheila, go to the history section of your web browser and see if you can find it. It should show every web site you went to on whatever day you look up.

Not that I'm trying to do anything to promote cats, they is EVIL.:hell_boy:

11. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tried to do that but my puter only lets me go back to the day before and I think I actually found that site the evening before that. Cause I looked in everything from day before and can't find it.:sad2:

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Another good reason for FireFox browsers. Mine goes as far back as since the last time I deleted them or at least a week which ever is shorter.

13. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hope:

YVW.....Thanx for the reps.