How did everybody do this weekend? were did you fish?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Missouricathunter25, May 24, 2009.

1. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    How did everybody do this weekend? i fished smithville up at the free ramp and caught 7 channel cats not to big good pan sized. The biggest being a 9 pound channel.
    I got upset at this one guy when we were putting our boats in and he caught two 40 lb flattys by snagging them without any bait. He said he forgot the bait and was snagging. That upset me and my grandpa because we think snagging catfish is illegal!! Here me and my grandpa were fishing legal with bait and he takes the flattys cause he said he is in a fishing contest. Anybody know if it is illegal to snag catfish?
    Thanks.

2. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Fished down river from Warsaw last week. Caught a few fish from 3# to 5# one 8# and one 17# most fish caught were dinks. We got around 20 to 25 fish a day when we fished. Hooked one big one and it came off. Fishing seems to have slowed down to what it was a week ago. Good luck

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats wierd....ive heard that drum is some of the worst bait to use for cat fish. anyway, i went out with welder yesterday, we didnt get skunked but the bite could have been better. we fished the missouri around gasconade. ended up with 4 good eater blues maybe 2 pounds, all were practicly identical fish, and one channel we didnt even know was there till we brought it in. i plan on going out tonight to try and get on some more flats out of the meramec.

4. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    That sucks those guys were doing that. I haven't done so well on the Missouri, but the weekend is not officially over yet:big_smile:

5. Missouricathunter25

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Thats what I thought. Were is a game warden when you need one. Anyways hope you all are having good luck. We got a total of 8 fish on trot lines using bullheads the first 2 days and then switching to shrimp the next 2. Do bullheads work good on lakes? It seems like when we tried them they didn't do as well as they did in the river. The biggest we got was a 9 lb channel. Good luck to all and Happy Memorial Day to all.

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    well thats good to know.
    anyway, im pretty happy with this holiday weekends fishing. got 4 blues, 5 decent flats, and a few channels. as blade said "the grand slam", all in all not a bad way to start the summer.

hopefully it will only get better from here

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Fished the Mo river on Saturday and caught on blue. It weighed 48 lbs.

Tom

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some guys have all the luck. Momma had a three day weekend and a jar crammed full of "Honey Do's" so guess how my weekend was spent. I didn't realize one man could sweat so much. She goes back to work tomorrow and the boat comes out. Maybe you guys will leave a few for me. (smiles) Oh, the yard looks real good!!!

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Look at it this week Larry. At least there wont be as many people on the water:wink:. Good luck brohter.

Tom

10. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Here in Indiana we've caught a few on cut drum, they were dinks when they get big they are kind of tough!!!

11. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    went to talley bend this weekend and did the best i have ever done caught a 58 pound flat saturday morning and a 36 pound flat sunday morning all were caught in coves on live perch on trotlines and throw lines

12. jdwizard

jdwizard New Member

State:
    Independence, Missouri
    Fished the Missouri up at mouth of Platte,we caught just 1 10# blue. It was a nice night even though the bite was slow.

13. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Fished on the upper grand arm of truman on sunday.Caught a lot of fish biggest was a 10lb flathead.Caught 6 flatheads and about 20 channels up to 5 lbs.Kept a few for the deep fryer.:wink:

14. MissouriCats

MissouriCats New Member

State:
    Higginsville,Missouri
    I fished on Truman Lake, put in right next to the dam and fished from there up the Osage arm a little bit for cats but only a couple small channels. We had one nice one on our trot lines but he snagged it on something and when we tried pulling it up it broke. I haven't quite figured out catfishing on the lake yet I just don't have good luck finding them. Crappie bite wasn't the best for us either but we still caught enough to feed the family for a night. Hopefully through lots of outings I will figure them flatheads out but it may take awhile with the luck I have had the last couple of years.

15. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished all week and it was hit and miss. Rob (duckalot) already posted those pictures, had a blast fishing with him, super nice guy, but we only boated 5 fish. Next day I anchored up next to a friend and we both did real well but no big fish, average limit of 10 punders. Took Mom on Friday afternoon/evening and caught 14 fish and she ended up with her personal best, a 26 pound blue. She was happy and tired all at the same time since I made her catch it start to finish in the current. Even talked her into holding up for a picture before we let it go. Fished Saturday and caught 3 all in the 5 pound range, and Sunday I fished 5 hours for 0 fish. Fished everywhere from the buoys below Truman Dam to Bucknaked Bar. Will post pictures later this afternoon when i get up. Chris

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know aint from Mo but I gotta put my report in:roll_eyes: I like yer puddle down there(LOL) Home turf here in Keokuk and surroundin area has been decent fellas we diong allrightt no hawgs but the basket be runnin over bout everytime we come in(LOL) pose since we have rain were gonna see a decline till they get her leveled out again....Gotta have her though tight lines out there!good luck ya all!

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I fished around Gasconade City with Welder Friday night and we got skunked. We had about a 15 pound blue on, but the hook came out of his mouth right at the boat. We headed to Bagnell Dam Monday and caught five channels anchoring on a ledge and fishing cut shad. Biggest was a 7lbs channel. Also had two nice spoonbill swim into my line that made for a few seconds of excitement.

18. Missouricathunter25

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Me and my grandpa fished Smithville up at the free ramp. We went down stream into coves. A lot of crappie fisherman as they haven't spawned yet. We got a total of 9 channels. The biggest was 9 lbs. Has any1 had luck with bullheads in lakes? Seems to me that we have better results out of the Platte and Missouri River than we do at the lake. Thanks and good luck fishing.

19. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished the Kaw up by the Dam, caught 2 nice blues around 10# and a couple smaller channels.

20. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Chad it is very illegal to snag catfish. If you ever have any problems up their you can call Clinton county dispatch and they will put you in touch with the Game Warden.:angry: