How deep will they go and range

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by robbor, Feb 1, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I was curious as to how deep a catfish can or will go, most of my lakes have dams that are 200' and I am wondering if they can or will go past 100?

Secondly, I was looking for data on catfish that were tracked by radio or what-ever and not in a river? Seems like I am always hearing about studies but never about details or results. How far they move, how deep they stay...................... To me it would be very interesting to see an overlay of catfish traveling on a contour topo map.

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well here, when winter time blue catfish are moving to deeper about 35 to 70 feet deep that catfishermen caught them in Virginia by James River. I don't know if catfish swimming in 100 feet deep?? but during summer, they will move to anywhere deep holes or shallow. Find sweet spots like as deep hole, log jams, by dam, riprap, tailraces, bridge pilings, and other shallow you will catch them.

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Yes I have heard that quite a few times but we have a few lakes here that really drop off to well over 100' in most places in the lake. Are your lakes shallow lakes? What is the average bottem lake depth and how deep is it at your dam? Im just wondering for trophy fish it is worth going deeper for larger fish if they congrigate really deep because I often hear about catfish sticking near the dam. I email Ca DFG asking if they had any studies or info, we will see what they say.

4. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    here I fishing on James River, I asked some guys about how deepest in james river, they said it about 90 feet deepest in james river. they said they caught big catfish 35 to 70 feet deep. well here I also fishing on Bull Shoals Lake, by dam it's about 200 feet deep same as your lake. but it closed line that mean you cannot go near dam anymore because of 9/11. That's good question about where big catfish swimming. yea they like swimming by dam, because it has alot oxygen and current?

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Robbor, the University of Virginia did a study (catfish) on Lake Norman in 2001-2002 period. WylieCat can probably give you a link to this study. The Carolinas Catfish Club members caught blues for the project. They were fitted with transmitters and were tracked for a period of time. Study indicated that they move around a whole lot more than you would expect.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Sometimes we catch blues and channels as deep as 120 foot of water.Its usually in the fall when we catch them that deep.Theres alot of them in those depths right now on the lake I fish but they are not aggressive.Most of the aggressive fish are 70 foot or shallower.We could probably catch them a little deeper than that at times but once it gets deeper than 120 theres big piles of trees that they pushed off into the deepest holes while they where building the lake which makes it hard to fish in.Keep in mind that this lake I fish very seldom stratfies and even when it does the thermocline is usually 100 foot or deeper.So theres pretty much always fish that deep in there.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Cats have been caught at depths greater than 100 feet, the latest issue of In Fisherman had an article about deep cats. There have been studies on cats that show them rangeing from a few hundred feet to a few miles.

8. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Thank you very much guys, it is very interesting to me. I would tent to agree about the deeper fish being less active. Also there are lots of issues of thermoclines as you stated. With always hearing about fish in dam turbines and what not I just have to wonder about there being more big ole monsters out where no one would mees with them. To me food would also be a huge issue at that depth, but thats what night feeding is for. I found one study on a foreign catfish but the lake the study took place in was only 50' max and the fish all seemd to stay out in the main lake and then traveled in periodically for feeding, but most seemed to hoover at the thermoclone. It doesnt really pertain to our cats but was interesting and I dont know what the season was. I have also found it interesting that you can limb line a cat during winter right at the surface. Thats the great thing about fishing always something to learn and another way to fish. I will have to find a current in fisherman mag, thanks, rob
    Keep em commin guys, Id love to hear more.

9. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    ive always heard that catfish come to the bank at night to catch smaller fish but as far as range goes i dont know about that.

10. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    I put one of my limblines in a creek close to the bank where there is a 3 foot drop off. Everytime I use that line and go backto check it there is almost always a channel cat on the end after leaving it over night. So I am convinced that they do come into the banks to feed at night. I usually use cut and/or live sunfish. But most of my lines set near the bank nearly always get fish over night.