How deep should a toon sit in the water?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Blake Wright, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a 20ft Sylvin Pontoon with 18in logs. I have romoved all the wood furniture and only left a captins chair and a custom alluminum center console. It is currently running a 1987 90hp Merc. With all that said maybe you can get a idea about weight. Now, in the rear I only have a little more than a 1/4 of the toons out of the water. I have had two adults in the rear corner and water come on the deck. The toons are water tight. Does this look right for these 18" logs? I'm just worried about adding a bait tank, enclosure, etc.
    The boat didn't have a capacity tag to know what the motor max is.

Attached Files:

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Blake, The decals look Awesome on that toon. Send Rounhill a PM and ask him or rivercatsc { James} They can give you some info on toon setups and live well locations.

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Call Sylvan. I bet they will give you the specs and I'd be willing to say that engine is too heavy for those small logs. I hope not.:crazy:

I have a 21' suntracker and it's only rated for a 90hp with 25'' logs.

4. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    double post

5. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sylvan told me I had to go thru my local dealer. I took the boat to them to get a tag and specs but they haven't been any help so far:confused2:
    I think the 90 is too big too. The guy I got it from put 90 on the toon after he crashed his speed boat. The only speed I get is fast to empty:eek:oooh:

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My sylvan is a 87 20ft and it is rated for a max engine of 75 hp I put a 70 johnson on it but it doesnt sit that low in the back. I moved my rails to the front and done away with the deck and if 2 or 3 people stand on the front corner that corner gets kinda low in the water. I will check tom. and see what the max weight is .

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You need to find some bigger logs and you will be okay. Get some bigger logs and I bet your fuel comsumption will go down also.

8. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If I find new logs they'll have a deck, motor, trailer,etc. Ya know what I mean.:cool2:

9. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My experience with pontoons is if they are about 1/3-1/2 out of the water in the rear and 2/3 out in the front your ok. The nice thing about them is they are very hard to actually sink because if they are sealed they don't actually take on water like a traditional boat will.

Try shifting more of your weight to the front. It's all about displacement and weight distribution. It's hard to tell without really looking at it but if your toons aren't sitting fairly level (within a few inches) when you are anchored you may just be to heavy in the rear.

I recently had a similar issue with putting a livewell in my john boat. I put a 120gallon tank in my boat. I was initially concerned that it would be to heavy but after some fairly simple calculations I realized that my boat was fairly balance as is. I have a 30 gallon fuel tank, a 20 gallon bait tank and 2 trolling batteries in the front. In the rear is myself, a 115 hp evinrude, and 2 cranking/accessory batteries. That left me about 250 lbs heavier in the back than the front which was easily over come by having a couple of passengers or my 2 labs in the front half. That being said I figured that placing the new livewell as close to center of the boat as possible only displaced about 1.5 extra inches of water over all at anchor and didn't do much to stop me from being able to plane out at all. It did cost me about 4 mph at top speed though. I'm sure it's not helping my fuel efficiency either.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A couple of passengers= 250lbs man you must have some little passengers. Most of my buddies would exceed the 250lbs by themself we would be nose diving with 2 of them in the front.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    if i were you i would just add a third pontoon to the middle , if it is too long just have it cut off this will run you about a 100.00 and most local machine shops can weld allumi. and if you look around you can usually find a old pontoon around somewhere , you just need to get the word out that you are looking for a old pontoon with atleast one good log , you will be amazed how many you find, when i did mine before i knew it i had about 10 logs and a half dozen entire frames, but when alluminum prices hit .89 i cut them up and sold 1500 pounds of scrap, and all together i only had about 200.00 in all it, so i got what i needed and made a good chunk of money :smile2:

12. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Most of the time it's the wife (125lbs) and a pup or 2 and really I'm the heavy weight in my crew anyway.:smile2: