How deep is too deep?

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by Phiznat5000, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Phiznat5000

Phiznat5000 New Member

State:
    Florida
    So ive been doing a lot of research on preferred Bluecat depths. There are so many elements that come into play that make a good cathole "good." If you know what I mean. I have come up with these four being the most important. Not necessarily in this order:

1. Food
    2. Cover
    3. Depth
    4. Current

If all four attributes are present then it is most likely an ideal spot for Blues. Now any single attribute alone could effect the other. Like the depth of a hole may influence the amount of current that flows through it. So all that being said, I have found two holes on the river I fish that are significantly deep in comparison to the average. Which I would say is anywhere from 35 feet to 50.

The deepest of the two holes ive found is 101 feet deep! And occurs at a bottle neck "pinch," where the river bends quickly. Its not your typical river bend, it is short and sharp. At like a 45 degree angle if you are looking at a map.

Anyways, I think it would be a killer spot. And I have seen big fish on my finder when I pass over it. On the left hand bank there is a high Red Clay bluff bank. I have gotten very close to the bank, almost within arms length. And it drops down into 35 feet. Then from about five feet further out it goes down to 70! And in the middle of the hole it is 101ish. I can also see a lot of structure on the bottom. Could be trees etc. And thats where most of the big fish are. I know one of em has to be a big cat. I have actually fished this spot more than once. But the current it super fast and bait placement is very difficult to do right. Whats worse is that nearly everytime I get hung up.

Anyways, my question to you fellow catmen. Is 100 feet to deep for cats? has anyone here caught a big cat on bottom in that deep of water? Most of the fish I spot are suspended over that part of the hole. Haven't really seen many directly on bottom. I know it could be several things. Perhaps the fish prefer the water temp closer to the surface. Maybe theres no good structure? Maybe bait fish dont go down that far? Could be the amount of current (or lack there of) on the bottom?

The second hole I mentioned is 93 feet deep and has almost the same characteristics. It is at the joint of where two secitons of the river connect. It's "Y" shaped. The hole is very wide, id say 150 yards. Maybe a little less. But again, most fish are suspended off the bottom about half way.

So I dont know? Part of me seems to think these spots may produce more if I tried to suspend bait. But doing so at even half that depth would be VERY hard. Especially with the current thats present.

Any thoughts?

2. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have never caught them on the bottom in that depth. I have fished a few holes that are deep but like yourself seem to hang up too much. I have a 70 foot hole I am going to try this weekend that eats hooks at a unreal rate. I intend to drop bait and drift the hole to see if I can catch the suspended fish and will let you know if it works. I have read a lot about drifting for suspended fish but have not had a lot of luck due to the wind and current.

3. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    Couldnt get the hang of drifting, snagged a lot and didnt catch a cat...

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eddie Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. The areas you have found sounds like a prime spot. Give some thought to using Fat KatBobbers from Wild Wolf Products. The largest they make should be the answer you need to suspend the bait in those areas. Wild Wolf is a Sponsor here on the BOC. Check out the web site.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    by the title of this thread my answer is........... when she screems :roll_eyes::smile2:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: