How deep is too deep in N.C.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by gearhead, Oct 17, 2006.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Just how deep is to deep to catch catfish or is there such a thing ?

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've caught them in 2 ft. of water and I've cuaght them on the bottom in 70 ft. of water. I don't think that there is a depth that is too deep. I think it more depends on where the baitfish are, thermocline and such. In the summer, blues normally suspend around the thermocline. Right now I think they could be anywhere. Don't limit yourself. If you mark a huge fish 100 ft. deep, heck see if he'll bite something. I put my baits where I mark fish, whether it be in 5 ft. or 60 ft. Hope this helps! later

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    just wondering at badin the other day the dept finder was showing @ 190' i think thats what it was , at the lower dam

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've never been to the dam right in fornt of it, but it might be that deep dwon there. I don't see myself slinging baits out in 190' of water though. The water pressure down there would flatten out a blue cat! It might be a good place to find them suspended though.

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    just thought i'd ask , i probably dont have enough line on my reel anyway . i didnt mark any fish i was just looking to see how deep it was .

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I don't think there is a restriction as too how deep they will go....

Of course once they get below the thermocline oxygen levels quickly drop but in my experience and from everything I have learned the colder the water say low 40's the deeper the blues will be...they will seek out the deepest holes away from strong currents and hole up so to speak...also if you can find where they are your liable to have one heck of a day...because there will probably be more than one big fish there

It all depends on water temp.. good luck

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's exactly right. However, I would probably try to avoid fishing in water over 85ft deep. Even in the coldest of the Winter I catch most of my fish in around 45ft of water.

8. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    No such thing as depth being an issue, it just depends on season and location of species. Yes your depthfinder was right it gets VERY deep near the dam. The name for Badin is actually Narrows resivour. I used to work for a company that had pictures of the dam when the French built the dam and it sits very high up in between two mountains and it got narrow for a long stretch. Just look at Falls and you'll know what I mean.

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

Zakk, i was reading an article in the in-fisherman...they were having the Cabela's cat fish tournament.....

Phil King was drift fishing in 90' yes 90' of water and won the tournament.....he was fishing a long ledge in the river channel, pulling up 30 and 40 pounders (they were tucked up under the ledges)...of course they had to be burped but but they can be found pretty deep sometimes..

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've found that blues tend to stack up in the winter time and you can wear 'em out if you find a good hole full of 'em. In the summer they tend to roam a little more. I usualyy catch them in about 25'-45' in the winter and I usually catch suspended fish in the summer. I've caught flatheads in 60' deep water too.