How deep is too deep for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by teamclose, Apr 4, 2006.

1. teamclose

teamclose Guest

i know there are many different situations, but as a general rule, just wanted to know what you guys think is "too deep" for flatheads?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish a smallish river (runs about 25 to 75 yards wide). During the late fall last year I did well in some 25 foot deep holes downriver, the deepest water in the area. During warmer weathre those holes don't produce. In spring through early fall, I fish about 8 to 10 feet deep channels.

3. dudeofpurple

dudeofpurple New Member

State:
    minnesota
    Catch most of my flats in 30-40ft, big hole between 2 wingdams

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would say it depends upon the structure of the area your fishing. If it is like the James River which has some deep holes, you will catch them deep getting cool. If it's like the Cimmaron River, where you have to hunt to find water deep enough to get high top tennis shoes wet, they will be in shallow water. Fish the structure... you'll find the fish there.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Teamclose I have caught flats at 60' before. From what I've seen the past few years thats not uncommon. If there's structure and a good food base they will be that deep. Bring those flats up from 60' isn't fun. They will really wear you out.

6. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Most of my flats have come from 4 to 30 foot deep..i haven't fished any deeper i will give it a try...:)

7. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They say on In-Fisherman that they dont really go deeper than 20-25 foot in summer. but that dont make scence If you can catch them in a 45 foot scour hole.

8. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    We caught one last year in 54 feet of water to win a tournament. It seems that most of our catches during the summer came in 20 to 30ft of water though. My boyfriend says it has to do with the thermocline.

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    let's take a step back here...

The main reason fish would avoid deep water in mid-summer is because of low levels of dissolved oxygen that exist below the thermocline. This occurs mainly in still waters like lakes, reservoirs etc.

In flowing water, there is circulation which keeps the deeper water more oxygenated in summer. So if you're fishing in current, by all means fish as deep as you want. If you can keep a bait in the right 60-80 ft scour hole below one of those big river dams, why not try it?

The deepest hole I've ever fished was around 40'. Don't forget you can fish the areas adjacent to those deep holes as well.

Shawn