How deep is the (lower) James?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been online to research this and found a page where the Army Corp of Engineers dredged it to 35 ft from a certain point to say around the turning basin then it's about 18 ft. The width of the dredging was I think about 100+ yards wide. My question is what is considered a "deep hole"? When your fishing a "hole" what does that mean. It's like when people say " you have to cast to the channel"....they are not catching fish either. I've seen people catch larger fish casting closer that people "fishing the channel". I'm just looking for a little understanding. I'm not looking for specific "holes":wink:. I only assume that is not an actual hole but a term....a place where there are fish.:tounge_out:

2. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    There is a spot below flowerdew thats 90ft and better and again at sturgeon point it gets close to that. Alot of fishing is done on the channel ledges and flats but there are some true holes. Wherever you catch a few nice fish becomes one your holes.

3. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have recently spoke with someone who tells me of "holes" in the lower james that are over 100 feet! I am still working on learning the river better from dutch gap to Hopewell. However i have found 80 plus depth of water off the point toward Hopewell at Presquille wildlife preserve, but i only have 75 feet of anchor rope,so i haven't had the priviledge to fish that "deep hole" yet!:big_smile: Good luck on the water!:smile2:

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I know big fish have come from that spot, and I've had the hardest takedown I've ever had there, but have never actually caught a fish from it. The water is all swirly, so it's best not to anchor directly in the hole, but at the leading edge of it depending on tide. I usually setup on the outgoing tide next to the point at the east entrance to the Presquille loop in 10-15ft of water and throw over into the deep water.