how deep is deep?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishhead, Dec 23, 2005.

1. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    how deep is deep in my portion of the river?i plan on fishing from 291 hiway down to sibley.have been scouting a few times and the deepest i have found 30ft.these are scoure holes and and holes on outside bends.am i missing something? any advice appreciated. thanks steve

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Anything over 5'10'' is deep to me!! Sorry,don't think that helped you

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Where are you from? What body of water are you fishing?

Now, without knowing where you are.....it's hard for me to help you. But I would say that the 30ft scour holes you speak of should be good spots. usually any river bend with a hole is good fishing......well that's all I can really say. Also what kind of cats are you after.....what kind are in your stretch of the river?

good luck :)

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh, Just saw that this post was in the MO river section......fishhead, honestly I think more people would be able to help you if you fill out a little of your profile info....at least first name, and State you live in....just a suggestion :)

good luck :)

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, deep is a relative term; furthermore, depth is only one part of structure that will attract cats. A 20' hole right next to a flat with woody cover might produce much better than a 30' hole a few hundred yards away, but with no other attractive features. On sections of the Arkansas River where there is little woody cover, the cats seem to find rocky cover a very suitable substitute, which means that scour holes off the end of rocky dikes are very good spots...so good, in fact, that it's often difficult to fish them because of the number of nets and trotlines set there. Sometimes cats will relate to a very slight depth change. For example, one of my spots that attracts cats in the spring is a large flat where a wet-weather branch runs into the water. Before the lake filled, the branch ran all the way out to the lowest part of the cove, and from there on down to the river. The part of the branch that is now covered by water has mostly filled in, but there is still a depression about 18" deep marking the old watercourse. Close to shore, there is a nice stumprow, and the cats use the depression as a highway between the 9' deep channel and the stumprow, particularly during spawning.

6. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    thanks for the reply guys,i live in the kansas city area.i have fished the mo. river from the bank since i was a kid, biggest being 26# flattie.got a boat last fall,now it is a new game.i am wanting to catch some wintertime blues.i have read of holes in the river going fourty to fifty feet deepbut have not found any in this area.hope to get out in the next couple of weeks.will post up if i do.
    hey cook,my name is steve,i met you a couple of times at smithville.once at the spillway and once under the bridge up on your end while crappie fishing.i had my grandson with me both times.we were not catching any from the boat but you and your buddy was getting from the bank!so i have learned the secret to fishing smithville.GET UP EARLY-FOLLOW COOK
    THANKS STEVE

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey fishhead all the infomation you just put out in that last post, go to the top left hand corner and click user cp then click the edit profile and put the information in and your done. this will help people better answer your question by knowing off the git go where your from and makes it a little friendlier by knowing your first name....
    merry christmas...

8. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    Thanks Brandon and merry christmas to all.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Merry Christmas to you also fishhead, sorry I dont know much about that river so I cant really help....but looks like the other guys did....thats what the BOC is all about....helping out your fellow fisherman...... :)

Take it easy man, Zakk :)

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well, The missouri river is not that deep of a river. At least not here around the kansas city area. You will be hard pressed to find anything over 40 foot and thats with the water high.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If it were me, I would be looking at the depth that your talking aobut. 30ft. If that is the best you can find. I would say fish there.
    Like Tn ReelFoot the depth is 19ft 2 holes that are 19ft and that is it. so that is where all the fish go.
    Now on Tn River below Pickwick, 60ft is it, Untill you get way down river. First deep hole below the dam is 50+ ft. And that is 7 miles below the dam.
    And the fish will be there.
    Also catch them right on the bank, Its a mud bank with a gravel and sand bottom out from it. Also a mussle bed there also.
    So where ever the bait is , Would be where the fish will be.

Good luck and try the deeper holes and flats.

Pete