How deep for a thermocline?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wildturkey, May 18, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    How deep does the water have to be to have a thermocline? Is there a thermocline in the rivers as well as the lake? I have read some on this site about it, but would not know how to identify one. Is there a thermocline all year or just during the summer months?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    No certain depth, just a impoundment. pretty much in lakes and ponds. you can find it with ease in your waters simply, Say your lake is 23' deep.. Floating a live gill at 22' and its dies within a few minutes, come up a ' try another gill and repeat process untill your gill stays alive, then you will have found the depth of the thermocline, staying just above it a ' or 2 will increase your catch . IMHO.:wink:

I'm sure someone else will add some more to this..

3. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I haven't ever seen a thermocline in a river, just lakes. A good graph will pick them up. If you are using a graph that will not show it, look for the bait fish. They will tell you where it is!

4. jer__man

jer__man New Member

State:
    Kingwood Texas
    The Thermocline on Rayburn varies a little from year to year and you'll only find it in deeper water. Turn the sensitivity up on your graph and it should pick it up. It will be around a 1/2 to 2/3 on the way down to the bottom. So if your in 40 ft look for it between 20 ft and 30 ft.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    No thermocline in rivers. The current keeps it mixed up.

You can see the thermocline on a good graph. Turn up the sensitivity until it appears. It will look like a shaded layer across the middle.

6. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    OK guys, I sure do thank you. I had heard about it, but never really knew what it was other than to fish above it, which did me no good since I didn't know what to look for.
    Jim

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks for asking that question,,
    Everything I know about Thermocline,, I just learned right here on this thread..

8. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    Good post and answers guys.

9. jer__man

jer__man New Member

State:
    Kingwood Texas
    I wouldn't always say fish above it. The thermocline is the natural border of where the warmer water and colder water meet at different times of the year. Fish of all species like water in a certain temperture range between 65 - 75 degrees. Anything higher or lower and they are less active. In the summer and winter time this water temp is in deeper water because it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. In the spring and fall the shallow water either warms up or cools down to this ideal temp range. So in the summer and winter you actually want to fish BELOW the thermocline. Hope this helps.