How deep do you like to fish a trotline?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by whiteriver, Aug 27, 2009.

How deep do you like to fish your trotline?

1. 0 to 3 feet deep

2. 3 to 6 feet deep

3. 3 to 6 feet above the bottom

4. on to 3 feet above the bottom

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    What determines how deep you fish a trotline?

2. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

I ALSO want to ask, is 2 ft from the lake floor too deep? thats how I have my weights spaced right now.... is this good or bad.:embarassed:

3. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    Put it all the way on bottom. Easier to set and that's where most of the fish are.

4. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Hey Nate; One thing I can tell you about putting you line deep this time of year. If you are fishing a lake or pond you have to be aware of the thermocline. If your hooks are below it and the fish come down to feed and are caught they will die real quick for lack of oxygen, you need to keep on top of things or you will lose what fish you catch. It doesn't take long in 80 degree water for fish to spoil.

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I generally set mine three or so foot off the bottom as long as there is plenty of oxygen at that depth. You can see a thermocline on your fish finder, so don't set below that or you will end up with dead fish. I fish in shallow water some times that is no deeper than four feet. I set those lines one foot off the bottom so they won't get hung up on a boat prop. I have found that if I fish in about fifteen feet of water, I can set the line at any depth and still catch fish. Catfish will find the bait by smell or by vibration and nail it and they won't let a few feet of water slow them down. Caatfishjon

6. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    I usually fish in 12-15 feet of water and keep my lines about 4-6' off the bottom. However, I fish in heavy structure, and have to in order to keep hanging up to a minimum. I catch alot of fish with this setup. I run from tree to tree, tie off at each, and run a 1/2 brick in the middle with 4-6' of line on it. Works well for me.

7. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Ok cool. Great tip. I knew wat that was put never really appliied it I guess!

8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    put on the bottom if you put it in the right place you'll have to run it every 1 to 2 to hours anyway.but i fish rivers.i can catch 250 to 300 lbs. a night and never have a fish to die.you run trottlines all night , not put them out tonight and check it in the morning.i only run'em about three times a year now(use to be atleast once a week.i only runn'em now in our local trottline , limbline tournys.and win 90% of them.its like r$r fishing if you aint gett'en hung your fishing dead water.