How deep do you fish for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by nightowl, Sep 9, 2009.

How deep do you go?

1. 0-5

2. 5-20

3. 20-40

4. 40-70

5. 70+

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    Recently I have been cathching some decent fish in a hole that is 100' - 125' deep. Its defently not a one shot wonder because there have been 4 PB come from this spot in the last 5 trips. I was just wondering how deep you guys go on average to target big blues.

It seems that my latest post have caught a couple of you off gaurd due to the deepth of water I'm fishing.

Is anyone else fishing this deep?

Thanks for your participation,

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I cant help ya on that question, but congrats on all your new P.B.s I need help targeting Blues too so I guess ill keep an eye on your post.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    30' plus is what I say for big blues..

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As deep of water as i can find. usually around 30-40

5. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I fish the Misippy River with some people noted for catching big fish( Coach and Radish) they fish deep holes During the WDM Gathering I fished with both of them we fishe 90+ Ft holes I caught a 50 and lost 2 more respectable fish I fished the same hole Radish caught the 100+ lb Blue it was a 90 ft hole They seem to think the deeper the better

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I picked 40-70' but I would fish deeper if I found a whole deeper than 65'. I just don't know of anything deeper than 70' around here.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I had to pick 5-20 for my blues.

I bank fish most of the time so I pick the more narrow creeks where I know they travel at night to feed. If I had a boat I would sure love to fish deep holes etc.....but for now I have to do it this way to catch fish.

-Jim-

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I voted 70+. I don't have many holes in the waters I fish that are deeper than that. I would fish deeper if I could find them at the right season time.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Do you guys mark fish, then hit that hole ?

10. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    Jimmy,

As i said earlier i've caught some decent fish in the past few weeks but none of these fish have showed on my Lowrance as a matter of fact NO fish have showed up on the bottom, the only thing that has been showing is smaller fish and bait fish higher on the scale (20-30ft deep) in a 100' deep hole. I guess the fish im catching are laying directly on bottom.

11. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Deepiest hole in a bend or stretch always produce fish for me, i got a 90'-100' that i could spend every hour fishin but i like to try new places sometimes and different depths

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    i catch a train load of them at 4 feet deep with a float fishing bluffs..

13. catfishbuck

catfishbuck New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for your comments. I've caught some 30-40#er's in water that didn't show on my fish finder as well. Your the first person to say the same thing. Interesting! I fish the Lake of Ozarks, that has some channel 100 ft. deep but have never fished ther cause everyone said to fish the thermal level. May have to the deep water for a change.

14. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    paul go deep the worst thing that can happen is you dont get bit.

I like someone thats not affraid to try somthing new.

15. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah Paul I don't quite get the thermocline thing. I hear of too many people catching big fish way below the supposed line where the fish would be. That being said I know of a man who won a tourney in August with a 58 lb blue out of less than 2 foot of water. Fish are crazy, but for the most part I think the deeper water is better. I have heard some people say that the current on the rivers make the thermocline nonexistent compared to a lake but heck if they are running water at LOZ there is definately an underwater current.

16. Wades39

Wades39 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have suspected that deep water meant big cats and will try some deeper holes after reading all the posts on this subject. My problem is that their are few deep holes here on the Ross Barnett Reservoir where i do most of my fishing. I have a Navonics Map program on my desk top that i use to plot my fishing trips and i used it to locate a couple of small 40' wholes, these may be the only two in the entire reservoir. I can locate a lot more 15-20' channels with submerged timber several hundred feet long that run up to some flats about 6'.5" deep. Where would you want your bait to rest in these channels or wholes? and would you prefer the Shallower channel or the deep whole?

17. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I don't have a boat, but I really just learned alot from all you Brother's.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, that's kind of a loaded question. Certainly it would depend on the time of year, and patterns of the targeted fish. If they were in 100+ feet of water, certainly I'd fish for them that way. However, I have caught big blues in 1 1/2 feet of water this year, prowling the gravel bars in the river. I did not answer the poll as there is no definitive answer. Some days 100+ feet, other days 1 1/2 feet. :wink:

Bill in SC

19. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    Went to the missippy this weekend Fished a big big hole Looked at the Lowrance 100 ft deep caught a 3 lber and a 15 and a lot of Tap Tap goin on The big boys didnt come out to play Radish had been spooled in this hole before

20. Wades39

Wades39 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I didn't do well this weekend either. I fished Pelahatchie Bay here on the Ross Barnett as well as the river below the dam with little success. We have had a tremendous amount of rain here in the past couple weeks so i assume this is the problem. Fishing was far better before the rain.