How deep are climbing rosebush roots?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by yotetrapper, Mar 9, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Our entire backyard is over a leech <sp?> field for our septic system. My fiance says I can plant a flower garden there, so long as the plants dont have roots that are more than 2-3 feet deep. I have a garden designed in my head, and one of the plants in it is a climbing rose bush.....does anyone know how deep their roots grow?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Angela you dont want any shrub like plants over the leachfield ,Id stay with annuals

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Angela,

One neat thing to do over the field is broadcast wildflower seeds. You can buy a can of mixed variety... whether for sun or shade... or that carpet runner stuff that you just lay atop the soil (although I haven't had very good success with that). The butterfly mix is cool and really does draw them in with it's assortment of pinks and reds. Some of them don't bloom till the 2nd year, but with a good mixture, there's usually plenty of flowering right away.

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Flowers of all types could be planted, never plant trees, large bushes, or any plant or shrub that will root deeper than eighteen inches.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, bushes/trees will generally root to the water level.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    One bad thing with wildflowers is that a lot of them have deep roots. It's partly to how they survive hot and dry weather.

Check out grownative.com Great site to find out what type and where to plant wildflowers.

Went to a wildflower seminar about a week a go and in the process of changing some of our flower beds over to wildflowers.