How come worms work?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dogfish, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Guest

Just thought of that today. People always say live bait or homemad baits etc but when ever i see fishing reports the big baby's are always caught on worms. How is that?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They work because they are natural, and readily available as forrage for alot of fish. I don't use them much anymore, but have caught many a fish on em. There is a public lake near my home that I sometimes fish when I can't go anywhere else, and worms is all I can catch them on for some reason. Always catch 3# to 8# channels. I've tried everything from shad, perch, shrimp and all sorts of bait. All that's productive there is good ol worms.

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never caught a cat on a worm because the smaller bream always get it first.:angry:

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Here in Ohio I use worms all the time mainly cause they are easy or cheap to get. I would think that as the rain washes them into the water making them easy for the fish to get also.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never caught a bream on the bottom. Caught a 4# bass on the bottom fishing with worms before. That was fun.

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i use worms in the spring often.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I catch 2-8lb Blue Cats and Channel Cats very often with little pieces of nightcrawler on sabiki rigs on the bottom. It's a lot of fun when you get them on an ultralight or bait pole like that. I like to drift when I use them.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think worms, are the best bait to use for eater size cats. the reason worms work is because thats what the little fish eat lol.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    because they are just so darn tasty :big_smile:

10. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    funny you should mention worms. I was fishing yesterday and i was using some frozen cut bait and didnt catch anything but another guy that was there lost a big cat that broke his line and he baited with worms.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Catfish are attracted to worms because they taste good... When it rains they come up on the surface and then get washed into the water and fish love it... there is also the thought of an easy meal... Worms wiggle and wiggle but don't go anywhere or not very far very fast if they do underwater... Easy meal for a hungry fish... kind of like giving you the option to go catch a squirrel for dinner or eat a hamburger that just happens to be sitting around on the porch with nothing to do... While that squirrel would probably be tasty... its alot easier to grab the burger...

the other thought is that it attracts small fish and they keep getting both the small fish and your hook with worm when they go and eat the small fish, but thats not as proven a reason, just my own theory...

12. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im with Skimax.try one, no bones and all good red meat. smokey

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like worms the best. Spring summer, I get em myself in a coffee can. I call em a bucket of guts. LOL Other times I buy em and they be cheap.
    Its a natural bait for most all fish on my lake. Worms are best for under 10lb fish IMO.
    Sometimes the bait fish drive me nuts going for the worm. Bait stealers. LOL.
    Cats can suck em off too.LOL.
    :tounge_out: :roll_eyes:

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    well, worms are live bait. and askin why catfish eat worms is the same as askin me why i eat fried chicken.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Worms work, just like the rest of us because they don't want to be poor and on welfare.They have to make a living also you know.:big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2: