how come it is

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by poisonpits, Jul 16, 2008.

1. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    all the major rod manufactors have good rods for under 50 dollars but you cant buy a custom rod for less than an arm and a leg.is their im6 or im8 graphite or their e glass better,

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    My guess is the time and effort they put into them. I'd put my 7' Heavy Action Daiwa Beef Stick up against ANY custom rod and would bet anything it would out perform any of them any time any day. This rod is a monster and will hold anything in freshwater in the US!!!

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Johnnie, I'd say it's the difference between a bunch of Chinese peasants working on an assembly line for starvation wages and an American craftsman working alone, trying to build something he can be proud of, and feed his family.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I own a custom rod from Black and Blue tackle. It's an awesome rod. Yes, it costs more than a major manufactured rod, but it has what I wanted. Color, wraps, choice of reel seat and grip material, etc. I'm not degrading any mass produced rods at all. Heck I own a Berkley Cat Maxx and a Berkley E-Cat 4#. I love those rods too. Custom rods give the buyer the advantage of choosing what you want. Most of them are made of higher quality materials and parts.

I've been ripped off too on purchasing a so-called custom rod.:angry: The glass coat started to crack at the guides, because the maker used to much hardener in the epoxy. Now it sits in the basement. Probably will get rid of it someday.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The low end G-Loomis rods are well over 150 bux. I seen some of Catfish safari's rods at the gathering this year. Their awsum to say the least, and not really to costly. Not cheap but not cheap made either. I guess it's whatever a fellow thinks he needs or wants.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am an economical fisherman by choice and I just don't need fancy stuff so I buy my at the local department store and get 3 or 4 good years out of them. With the money I save, I can buy a couple to replace them with!