How come bass fishing is so popular

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by CJ21, Apr 16, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering how come bass fishing is so popular? The more popular bass fishing gets the more I cant stand bass fisherman, its not that I dont like bass fishing its just the way they is putting it on, like its the only fish to catch and most of the fishing shows are talking about how to catch bass. I dont just like it, I am a catfisherman and always will be one. what do u guys think?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charles, one aspect that makes fishing so popular is diversification... Bass men prolly have the same idea about catters. While they're fishin' for bass, they're leavin' the cats for you and I...:cool2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I have no problem keeping secrets. It's the people I tell...

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya there is some truth in that, and we leave all the bass for them.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can't really say.
    As for me, I will fish for anything that'll take a hook.
    I have often said that I would fish in a bucket if there was no other water.

I have it so bad that I carry a couple hooks in my wallet, just in case, figuring that I can probably find some line some nasty person has left on the bank, cut a tree limb, and scrounge some kind of bait.

If their was a rehab for this, I am sure my family would have had me committed long ago.:tounge_out:

5. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I think they do it to get exericse from throwing out the lure so much :big_smile: :roll_eyes:

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    catters are making it more popular, I try to catch them under 8 inches to use for bait for flatties.

7. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    IMHO (this means I am on my 'soap box'), Ray Scott (B.A.S.S. founder) appears to be a better promoter than even Col. Tom Parker (Elvis' manger). Who would have ever thought bass fishing could be promoted as a Professional Sport (????) televised drawing millions of viewers each week. Not only B.A.S.S. but seeing the possibilities/probabilities FLW has several tournament shows on TV.

BASS fishing is portrayed as a clean cut, upwardly mobile, sport where you can almost wear a suit while fishing, dirve $40,000 SUV's pulling $40,000 BASS boats. Everyone knows you must have a 250HP motor pushing your boat at 75 MPH in order to catch fish. yes, I know the Pros must get from point a to point b as fast as possible in order the fish as mush as possible. Does this apply to the non tournament guy/gal blasting up the river at 60-70 MPH?

The fishing equipment and boat manufactures have all made millions from this, along with a good many unnamed current or past Pros that will sell or put thier name on anything to make a buck while on their shows. Some of these shows are little more than Saturday/Sunday morning infomercials.

With that being said, I do fish for Bass, and bream, stripers, croppie, and of course, catfish. Each season provides opportunities.

Unlike the bass Pro types, we get bloody, slimy, sticky, and sometime do not smell very well, and for the most part, we don't care, we are just having fun. Our boats are anything from a 10 ft Jon boat to a $40,000 bass boat that we pull it with what we can afford. We use the equipment that we can afford, like and works for use; Not what we are paid to use. We get hung up on rocks, trees, stumps, and old cars.

I guess that is why it is not called the BASS Brotherhood!

Well enogh time on the soapbox, enjoy fishing for what it is to you.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Thats a good question, maybe bass is just easier to catch then big cats and that a lot of bass fishermen I know just like to show off their new expensive toys unlike the catfishermen I know who can fish from a bank or almost anything that floats and sad to say I used to be one of the former.

9. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I don't really care much for bass fishing myself. I've done it and it is not the same as reeling in a big cat. There is no way that i could spend 30,000 to 40,000 on a boat. My 16 ft jon and 18 hp motor does just fine for me.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    chuck99 hit the nail on the head.ray saw an oppn.to make some money by exsploting the competive side of me.if you could catch cats in the same numbers as bass on lures we would have the same thing happend to catfishing.i for one am thankful that we have shad and perch to fish with saves us money.could you see trying to carry all that bass tackle up and down the bank.we would quit fishing.imo

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    $$$$$$$$$$ Need I say anymore??? :big_smile:

12. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I do a lot of bass fishing myself and love it just as much as catfishing, but there is a lot of hype surrounding it these days. I meet so many bass anglers when I'm out fishing that regard catfish as "Garbage fish" and can't understand why I'm trying to catch them. And then there's the down right rude ones that troll their boats right up into your fishing hole with no regard. I'm having to drive father and farther out to find lakes that aren't crowded with bass fishermen. I think most of them are snobby rich guys that like to buy the fastest, fanciest, most expensive bass boats on the market just so they can zoom around the lake and show them off. Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't have a boat. :big_smile:

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The hype and the money have gotta rank right up there, but doesn't it seem to take more patience to fish for cats?
    Seems like there's alot more settin and ponderin while waitin, as opposed to all the zoom zoom, changin lures, and casting.

14. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Bass fishing can be very tough. I understand what everybody is saying about the bass fisherman flying around and having no respect. But it does take quite a bit of knowledge and skill to be a successful bass fisherman.

Watch Kevin VanDam fish sometime. He will throw a topwater in the morning, switch to a crankbait along weedlines, then go to a finesse tactic, and the burn a spinner along brush. Those guys are very versatile and I respect them, as long as they respect me. And I have met some very nice and respectful bass fisherman around here, the other guys just ruin it for the good ones.

15. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Patience is a relative term, depending on the perspective……………those who catch the bigger and most catfish have the patience to sit and wait in the proper spot and to know when to change bait or location.

Patience in bass fishing is being able to make a 100 cast without get a hit, and go back over the same area with a different lure. In bass fishing, you get a very strong wrist, forearm, and shoulder, but you rarely get to see and enjoy what goes on around you, you get focused on making precise cast beside logs, sunken trees and under limbs rock overhangs.

As much as I like to Bass fish, I love to catfish, you get to watch what goes on around you, alligators sunning themselves on the warm sand, beavers, river otters and gar splashing, squirrels falling into the river/lake, bald eagles diving down for a seafood snack, hawks swooping down to snack on squirrels in the open, all without being distracted from fishing. You also have time just to talk to the friend you are fishing with.

Love it.

16. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I agree. Whenever I am out on the river some of the bass fisermen come flying down the river with their big 100-225 hp motors with no regards to who is fishing along the banks in the smaller boats. Its bad enough to put up with some of them on the lakes but now they are fishing back up in the rivers. There is going to be a serious accident some day if they don't learn to slow down.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Just like stock car racing in the Winston ranks.

Bass fishing is challenging in many ways that catfishing isnt.
    Bass fishing is more of a mental and physical game.
    Standing on the bow of a boat pitching ,flipping, or casting in adverse conditions or even good conditions all day is physically and mentally demanding.

Catching fish on live bait is one thing. Fooling fish and catching fish on artificials is something entirely different.

Its a different rush for me.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fish for bass but I fish for anything that might have a streach on my line, and put a meal on my table. around here the emphasis is on bass and walleye. the crappie fishery I remember when I was younger is all but gone thanks to the weekend tourists whu took and never put back ,Its hard to catch a 2 lb crappie anymore but I didnt catch a single cat last season either. theres more bass here than Carter has liver spots. and theres a tourney most every weekend during the summer too . I think its a money thing for the local communities with the extra revenues .

19. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    i use to fish for bass 4 to 5 nights a week and saturday(thought it was the only thing to do). The SLAM, SPLASH and shock of a 10lber is something special, then in 1972 came my first grouper trip, caught more and bigger fish than all the bass fishing combined and they eat rather well. Needless to say not much for bass anymore.--shu

20. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY

I couldn't agree with you more,Mark. Hope you didn't feel like I was bashing the hobby or anything. I just tell things the way I see it, doesn't mean it represents all bass fishermen.