How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 5, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    is there a cold tempature limit on using your boat? like if its 20 degrees outside, could you damage your outboard when you start it? my father-in-law told me today that if i start my motor when its freezing outside it will trash the water impeller. is that true?
    after he told me that i said that i would just take out my jet boat. he said that would be an even bigger mistake because it is oil injected. he says that the oil would be too thick and wouldn't reach the engines properly. is he just blowing smoke or is he right?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I would believe whatever my owners manual says...everything else, including kinfolk, is just so much smoke.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    To cold is when the water gets hard or however cold you can stand it.

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    To cold is when you can't put the boat in that water due to the lake or river being covered with ice.

5. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    ya, I kinda thought my father-in-law was full of it. thanks for the replies guys.

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    As a waterfowler i have been in some pretty cold weather with my boat both her in N.C. and in Pa. and never had any real problems using my outboard. If you ask any waterfowler they will tell abuout times they needed to break ice just to get out to the blind. One thing i would suggest is use a fule stabiliser it tends to make the the outboard run a little smoother in the winter, the coldest i have been out in is 5 degrees. just a little tip running down a lake in cold weather will beat the heck out of you, especilay on exposed areas like the face and neck. I have heard of the e-tech blowing power heads in the cold but, this was never a confirmed report, let you motor warm up for a while before heading out, keep it in down so the lower unit is in the water when not using it, this way it most likely not iceup the impeller and when done let the motor drain down a while befoe you trailer home, it will allow the impeller and pump to drain water out. and when you get home drop your motor down and allow keep it down till your ready to use it again, this works for me and so far "knock on wood". and most inportaint of all, where your pdf while in motion, or even fishing, cold water is the most deadlest thing to be in. keep your throwable handy with a rope attached never know when you need to get it in a hurry.

7. bigcats 24/7

bigcats 24/7 New Member

State:
    georgia
    to me its never to cold to go out..... but this year while duck hunting water froze inside the motor about ten minutes after we shut it off... took a while to get the ice out of the water pump but it fired right up after that.... that morning was way to cold.... even down here in georgia

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    It's to cold when I can see my breath, heck with boat...I tend to freeze up in winter a lot sooner than that. I don't waterfowl. having hard time with this winter catfishing now. I need lows in the 40s or better or I'll just skip it. I fish for enjoyment, ice on my mustash is frowned on.

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Too cold is when you inhale through your nose and you snot freezes!!!

:haha:

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Its to cold when you can get out of your boat and slide on the water:tounge_out: