How cold is COLD?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Coldest recorded temperature in Hawaii: 12 degrees farenheight

Coldest recorded temperature in Alaska: -80 degrees F.

Coldest recorded temperature on Earth: -129 degrees F. (Antartica)

Temperature at which a naked person will begin to feel cold: 77 degrees F.

Temperature at which a resting ptarmigan can no longer maintain its body temperature: -30 degrees F.

Temperature at which a Canadian Goose typically will not fly by choice: 10 degrees F or less.

Temperature at which your tounge will freeze to your gun barrel: 23 degrees F.

Body Temperature at which hypothermia will begin to set in: 95 degrees F.

Temperature at which exposed human flesh will freeze in one minute: -29 degrees F.

Combined temperature and wind speed that can freeze exposed human flesh in 30 seconds: -30 degrees.

Temperature at which the Canadian Meteorologist service recommends that you neither fish nor hunt: -67 degrees.

That's if you couldn't figure that last one out on your own...lol.

When we were 15 my cousins and I were snow goose hunting in a mile long...mile wide open field with winter wheat on it on an extremely cold day.

The wind chill was -30 degrees. We were all layered up...and hiding behind a white bed sheet since there was snow on the ground.

This produced almost more snow geese than we could carry...as the birds were extremely reluctant to fly. They literally tried to run away from us on foot until they were well within range when they finally did fly.

So there is some truth to the birds not wanting to fly when its extremely cold.

I don't venture out like that anymore since I've started to become older...and wiser...lol.

But it's possible to get hypothermia in 70 degree water if you stay in it long enough.

I got hypothermia one day when I succumbed to carbon monoxide fumes while buffing a floor indoors (no heat in 28 degree temps) with a propane buffer...and inadequate ventilation.

I was lucky to survive that one.

Which brings about three points when applied to the outdoors...dress for the occasion when out in the elements (Use layers of clothing)...stay dry...and be wary of using a gas heater of any kind inside an enclosed area such as a tent.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my outdoor thermometer says 19 right now here in il with 2" or so fresh snow on the ground. my butt is sitting here with the wood stove going in the shop where its now 78 degrees. tomorrow would be a good day to bowhunt though. snow and cold.:cool2:

3. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

I'm glad you brought this one up Brian.

The coldest night of my life is branded into my memory. It was February 10th 1985, (do a history check if you like, it was a SUNDAY). There was NO wind, so it was just a DEAD cold. The temperature dropped to -16 & here in Birmingham some old people had died from it. I had gone out for a beer to a place about half a mile away roundabout 6 P.M. when it wasn't THAT bad, but over the next 4 hours, the degrees dropped like a stone & I was totally unprepared for it on my walk home.

I was wearing a light jacket & leather soled shoes & there was a sheet of ice EVERYWHERE, on the roads AND the sidewalks, so I must have slipped about 8 times on the way home (leather soled shoes ain't what you might call michelin or dunlop friendly) but the copious amounts of alcohol I'd consumed meant I didn't pay for it 'till the next day. All over the city, water pipes had contracted & in some cases, ripped themselves out of the ground. The water pipes where I lived at the time were completely frozen & I had to stand there with a hair-dryer blowing on them for over an hour to get the cold water flowing.

Weather reports told us that it was colder here than it was in MOSCOW. Records told us only ONE colder night was on record, namely Richmond, Surrey (near London) some time in the 1860's......-17. So assuming these reports are true, my claim to fame is I've experienced the UK's coldest night in the 20th century.

As a matter of interest though, a friend of mine received a call from his sister in Chicago at the time & she informed him that with the wind chill factor outside her front door, temperatures there were -40.

Tight lines.

4. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    The coldest I have ever been was when I fell through the ice on a lake in Michigan and the temp. was 10-15 deg.with a 20 mph wind.I had to walk over a mile to the house,it was so cold my pants were frozen stiff and I was running most of the way back. I also had the heater in the ice fishing shanty burn all the oxygen up,when we opened the door you could actually see the air rush into the shack.I guess someone is looking out for me because I've dodged the bullet a few more times than that.THANKS!

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i fell thru the ice riding a 4 wheeler across a lake.. we jacked around for about 10 minutes putting the bike out then we had a 1 hour ride back to the truck but luckily it was onlyt in the high 20s that day...

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cold.... well, it was pretty cold on this mountain north of Thule, Greenland. :wink:

Where I worked there was a hydrogen separator that operated at -300 F.
    It was called, "The cold box".

Attached Files:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have always considered anything lower than freezing point (32F or 0C) totally unnecessary :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:...W

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    The only thing I know is it's colder than a witchs itch right now. Later Andy

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Boy that was great info. Well it's 24 degrees here in northern Indiana, snowing like crazy. Winter snow advisery, lake affect snow for 2-3 days or so.

I fired up the gas grill on the porch in my shorts. lol Grilling for the new year meal. Can't grill with long handles on, it has to be done in a T shirt and shorts. lol

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cold, Hah just a normal day here in East Central Iowa.

Todays 100% forecast is as follows.........

Increasing winds to 40 mph with yesterdays snowfall and additional accumulations today will cause dangerous conditions. Visibilities will be reduced to near zero and drifting snow will hamper travel. Wind chills of 10-20 below zero will occur. If you must travel, take a survival kit, be prepared for white outs, drifting snow and sub zero temperatures.

You guys ought to be around here when it really gets bad. This is like being in Florida. The only problem is Nancy went to work this morning. Probably won't see her for a week. Who's going to clean the house?

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    when it drops below 50 here in yuma az, it's too darn cold. :wink:
    gary

12. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    It's 37 degrees here right now but going to be mid 50's this afternoon. This next weekend the high will be in the low 70's.
    I do know what cold is though, I used to live in Minnesota and Colorado.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The coldest day I can recall was in 1989 in St.Clair Michigan when I was told at the shipping desk that my load would not be ready till in the morning. I had to lay over and sleep in the sleeper:eek:oooh:.
    Now, I was waiting on a load of salt at the DC Salt plant next to the St. Clair River. It was 19 below and the wind was out of the north at 10 to 15mph. The water from the river was splashing all night against the bank and the mist froze to the truck and trailer. I got up at 6am to find that I had 6" of ice covering the right side of the truck:confused2:. All night I was bundled up in my army field jacket and liner, all of my clothes and three blankets. I was miserable all night long and didn't get much sleep due to engine noise(old detroit at 1/4 throttle) and the fear of freezing to death in my sleep.
    That is when I went into the shipping office only to find out that they would have loaded me that night when I got there. They said the guy that told me that was wrong and that my load was ready when I got there:angry:. Boy was I PO'd.
    And Ya'll wonder why Truckers are so edgey, LOL!!!

14. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Olefin:

I HAD to laugh, having a "cold box" in Greenland is kinda like having a SUNBED in Florida, eh?:smile2:

15. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    That is some good info, and some good stories... my coldest um well it was almost a month i guess.... was last january... some of you might remember that Southern Missouri got hit HARD by an ice storm... i was out of power (no heat, hot water, catfish1.com, ect... the important stuff ) for 21 days... there was 4 inches of ice on everything, my tree in the yard fell on the roof, but luckyly it held (no insurance)... it put a couple good sized holes in the porch roof though. i remember that the thermomiter we had hanging on the porch got knocked off and we picked it up and moved it inside... over the next hour it actually dropped, it was -5 outside... after an hour in my house it read -13... this was a very cold time for me.....

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The coldest I've seen, was years ago at the steel mill. It was about 20 below with a 30 MPH wind off Lake Michigan. We were out in that at midnight, following a fuel oil truck, pouring diesel fuel in gear boxes, to thin the gear lube. The stackers and unloaders were froze in there tracks, and we were trying to get them to move.

Darn that was one cold night.

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We have two HUGE tanks that hold liquid nitrogen at work. There is always ice a foot thick around the outlet pipes...they chip it off...and it grows right back.

Not that impressive looking right now when it's cold...but when it's 100 degrees outside in the summer...there is STILL a foot of ice around that pipe.

I'd take a picture of it...but I'm sure they would question why I have a digital camera out at work...snapping pics...lol.

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...Just how hong has it been cold there??

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how cold is cold? cold is when you are ice-fishing, and there is ice forming inside your open bottle of beer!!! just an incentive to drink faster though!! lol..:smile2: rollo

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The coldest I have been…
    I was in a bicycle race in Southern California in the early 1980s, 800 miles riding day and night for 3 days over a 100 mile loop that included low desert and a 5,000 foot mountain pass. Daytime temps were as high as 102 degrees, and a nighttime low of 27 degrees was recorded at one of the time stations on the mountain. The first night I rode into that cold air at about 3:00am completely unprepared, wearing just a tshirt and shorts. I ended up so hypothermic that they wanted to pull me from the race and send me off in an ambulance. I puked a few times, warmed up for a couple of hours, then borrowed some warm clothes, climbed back on the bike, and eventually finished 12th in the race out of over 100 starters.

The coldest temps I’ve seen…
    The coldest temps I’ve ever experienced were just a few days ago. I went to Colorado right after Christmas, and camped out for 2 nights. The colder night was Friday, at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It got down to -34 nearby in Alamosa. The ranger said it hit -30 at the park office, and that’s the coldest weather I’ve been in. Luckily winds were dead calm, so there was no wind chill. I was well prepared for cold weather and had no problems. Kansas City’s record cold temp was -23, set in December 1989.