Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Crazy stuff huh! I know very very little about river fishing,and this is where this vid is from,but gives you the idea,the fish are there,you gotta find em! Makes ya wanna go fishin! Did you that water temp of 34 degrees,brrrrr

Hello Brett, My thinking is you will not catch them at home. You gotta be on the water. More hours on the lake equals more chances and less available food for cats increases your odds thru the colder months. Good Luck!

Hello Arizona! Hey guys thought I would drop some input on this thread from a place where it gets rough finding wintertime cats.

Up here in Nebraska alot of guys don't bother to expend the energy to catch wintertime cats,but a few of us do,alot of the time when the lakes are froze over we can ice fish them and do pretty well. Channel cats will bite all the time in the winter,just have to find where they are holding and target them,super oily cutbaits work best in the real cold water as the scent is more powerful,leave the dip,dough,and other stinkbaits at home they won't do you any good. Fish deep and right on the bottom,bites are going to be light,and use baits that are about half of what you would use in the summer,with a slowed metabolism the fish don't like big meals as they take too much energy to break down.

As far as flatheads,we just caught some the other day at a river and the water temp was right at 50 degrees,they were caught on live chubs and were fished for on typical summertime spots and tactics, BUT much colder than that and you will need to put the bait right in their face,I've pulled flatheads through the ice,but I got lucky and dropped my bait right in their wintering hole,once again big baits are not what you want,save them for highly aggessive fish in the summer,think smaller when the water is cold. I usually quit on the flatheads after the water drops below 50,there's just no percentage in it,but it can be done.

Theres probably no better eating catfish than ones taken from cold water,I'm so spoiled by eating winter cats I just release most of the summertime hot water cats. Theres a huge taste difference in a cat that was caught from 30 degree water and one that was caught from 85 degree water.

Oh yeah if you've never been ice fishing you need to try it someday,it's a blast. It usually scares the crap out of newbies the first few times,but after that they love it. Walking to a spot and drilling though the ice that is 8 inches thick with 30 foot of water under your feet and fishing through a little hole with tiny gear can be a blast.

Ice????? Ohh that stuff you put in youre tea!! :smile2:

Hello Arizona! Hey guys thought I would drop some input on this thread from a place where it gets rough finding wintertime cats.

Up here in Nebraska alot of guys don't bother to expend the energy to catch wintertime cats,but a few of us do,alot of the time when the lakes are froze over we can ice fish them and do pretty well. Channel cats will bite all the time in the winter,just have to find where they are holding and target them,super oily cutbaits work best in the real cold water as the scent is more powerful,leave the dip,dough,and other stinkbaits at home they won't do you any good. Fish deep and right on the bottom,bites are going to be light,and use baits that are about half of what you would use in the summer,with a slowed metabolism the fish don't like big meals as they take too much energy to break down.

As far as flatheads,we just caught some the other day at a river and the water temp was right at 50 degrees,they were caught on live chubs and were fished for on typical summertime spots and tactics, BUT much colder than that and you will need to put the bait right in their face,I've pulled flatheads through the ice,but I got lucky and dropped my bait right in their wintering hole,once again big baits are not what you want,save them for highly aggessive fish in the summer,think smaller when the water is cold. I usually quit on the flatheads after the water drops below 50,there's just no percentage in it,but it can be done.

Theres probably no better eating catfish than ones taken from cold water,I'm so spoiled by eating winter cats I just release most of the summertime hot water cats. Theres a huge taste difference in a cat that was caught from 30 degree water and one that was caught from 85 degree water.

Oh yeah if you've never been ice fishing you need to try it someday,it's a blast. It usually scares the crap out of newbies the first few times,but after that they love it. Walking to a spot and drilling though the ice that is 8 inches thick with 30 foot of water under your feet and fishing through a little hole with tiny gear can be a blast.

I did some reading on flatheads a few years ago and one of the things that stuck in my mind was with every 8 degree increase in water temperature the enzyme action doubles. The warmer it gets the more they eat. I kept a flathead in a 240 gal. fish tank for over 10 years, his name was "BOB". I would buy 100 feeder goldfish at a time. He would lay on the bottom of the tank when there was a light on or it was daylight and when a goldfish would swim by his mouth his mouth would open and close superfast and the goldfish would be history. Then he would expell the gravel that he sucked in through his gills. This would go on time and time again, never moving from his resting place on the bottom of the tank. Once you turn the light off and it was dark he would rise from the bottom of the tank and devour the goldfish chasing them around the tank, once I turned the light back on he would head to the bottom of the tank again and just lay there. I know a guy that has caught flatheads below Horseshoe dam when the mist from the water release would freeze on his line. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

I did some reading on flatheads a few years ago and one of the things that stuck in my mind was with every 8 degree increase in water temperature the enzyme action doubles. The warmer it gets the more they eat. I kept a flathead in a 240 gal. fish tank for over 10 years, his name was "BOB". I would buy 100 feeder goldfish at a time. He would lay on the bottom of the tank when there was a light on or it was daylight and when a goldfish would swim by his mouth his mouth would open and close superfast and the goldfish would be history. Then he would expell the gravel that he sucked in through his gills. This would go on time and time again, never moving from his resting place on the bottom of the tank. Once you turn the light off and it was dark he would rise from the bottom of the tank and devour the goldfish chasing them around the tank, once I turned the light back on he would head to the bottom of the tank again and just lay there. I know a guy that has caught flatheads below Horseshoe dam when the mist from the water release would freeze on his line. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.
greta info. that sheds some light about light

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Hey thanks, I always wanted to do this.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.