How close to the dam?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Calvin, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    What are the rules about how close you can be to a dam in Keokuk? I was reading a thread that said you have to stay 300 feet away from the dam in some places. I have always got right up next to the dam within 10 feet when the water is calm. Didnt know there was a law. Anyone know anything about this?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Calvin as far as I know there is no rules here-you can go up there if you want-I never go up as close as you all do though.

3. fishndad30

fishndad30 New Member

State:
    sigourney ,iowa
    distance is not as important as current,if you can find a slack current and a fast current next to each other, hog the spot.fish will stage in the slack and wait for bait fish to swirl in after being churned in the dam,...hope this helps,also check DNR regulations it will tell you about what you cant do in a paticular body of water(reg.s can be found at walmart ).or go to iaDNR website ,they are good about answering questions

4. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lock & Dam 12 on the Mississippi has a restricted area of 150 ft(?) below the dam. It's marked with large signs and a flashing red lights on the lock walls. The DNR and Federal wardens do enforce the restricted area and write tickets with fines of more than $100.

I found this quote on the DNR Mississippi River Recreational Boating guide website www.iowadnr.gov/fish/fishing/miss/boatgide.htm , but couldn't track down an actual "law". I'm wondering if the actual reg is in the Corp of Engineer system somewhere??

Restricted areas have been established by the US Army Corps of Engineers above and below these facilities. Other restrictions may also be posted at each dam or spillway.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Contact a lee co. conservation officer or call ....be easy nuff to find out they will know:wink:

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I recommend atleast 10 feet.... Just a safe guess LOL

Do call though.... your conservation officer is Joe Fourdyce 319.470.0788 is his phone number!