How can you tell a pregnant catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have never seen a catfish that has eggs in her and, I dont want to take one from the water if she has em. How can I tell? I realize that her stomach might be a bit bigger but, I have also been told that post spawn fish tend to eat quite a bit also in that case, that would cause a distended belly as well. Is there a way to tell the difference?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They are moody ah heck - bite your hjead off one minute and burst into tears the next.

Oh wait. Did you say "Catfish"?

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some/most of the fish will be very fat, as mentioned above, it will look like a beer gut. Not all fish are like this. Its unavoidable to never take a fish that has eggs unless you fish outside of the spawning season. Luckily enough fish survive when people follow the laws that taking a few fish that do have eggs doesnt whipe the fish out.

Another note. Some people fry the eggs and eat them. I personally have never done it and dont plan to, but its just one more way to use your catch to the fullest.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also known as "farmer's caviar". Bread the egg sac and fry it just like you do the rest of the fish. I grew up in a house that didn't waste any part we could use. Frankly, it's the only part of the fish I kinda like, though cheek meat isn't too bad.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the fish that are pregnant or have eggs tend to have a soft stomach you can rub around on it and feel two soft sacks running paralel to each other in spawn i have seen their bellys swelled sometimes below the rectum there will be another hole this will be swelled normally due to eggs ready to drop . you can also do a trial and error take two fish and compare them study the way they look and feel then (sorry fish lovers)cut them open .so far this year i have only cleaned male cats i assume, for none have had eggs .good luck hope this helps

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    they take one look at you and ask for pickles and ice cream

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a good reason to throw them back April through May!!!!

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    what do you want to tell a preg. catfish?:lol:
    she won't listen!:roll_eyes:
    seriously, just tell her YES DEAR and you might be ok.:crazy:

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Now I am a little confused. Is'nt the spawn going on around this time of year? Or do the females just carry eggs from May to April?

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    it depends on your area. In southern states where is gets warmer faster the spawn will be earlier. In cooler states or states that dont warm up as early the spawn is later.

I dont know the numbers, these are purely fictional but lets say the water needs to be 60 for the spawn to start. In march-april of Texas the water will hit that temp but say oklahoma it might not hit that temp till april-may etc.

Im sure someone will chime in on the exact temperture ive just never paid much attention to it. I know is somewhere in the low 60ish

11. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    She can't find her boyfriend anywhere! Sorry......I couldn't pass that one up....:big_smile:

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have found eggs all year around in catfish . they ripen just before the spawn. The males have long cream colored sperm sacks inside. I don't like ripe fish eggs to eat but some people do.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    the smell of cheap whine and and cigarettes from the night before